New blown plaster

m0t

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had my dining room replastered on Monday and I had gone round and hacked off all the old blown plaster.

There was a large section on the chimney (probably about the same size as a 40" tv if you hung it portrait) that was blown. I hacked it off and it was sitting about 2mm proud of the brickwork. Other than the noise there was no indication it was blown.

The plaster has mostly dried today but when tapping on this section it sounds hollow like it has blown. There's no movement in the plaster and the area is probably about half the size it was previously.

I'm going to get the plasterer back to take a look but would like to understand why this has happened in case it's something not been done properly. I saw him pva the wall but didn't see the stuff go on.

It has been extremely hot and that room is south facing with big French doors. During the day the chimney and the section of wall next to it (which has cracked a bit) are in direct sunlight and get really hot. Would this cause the problem? The other bits I hacked off don't sound hollow.

Sponsored Links
I have an answer from the plasterer. Because the area was so large and quite deep he dot and dabbed plasterboard into the hole then skimmed it level. That explains why there is no movement in it and it's flat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back