New plastering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any tips on plastering a 1930s semi? All the old blown plaster has been hacked off from the internal walls & the stair wall which backs onto a garage & the area around the door also. Do these areas have to be redone with lime as Ive been reading about it allowing walls to breath. Is the modern day bonding plaster going to cause problems in my house?

Sponsored Links
There are a number of ways you can do this, you can if wanted use a lime render but this is not essential as browning as a base coat or even dot'n'dab method of fixing plasterboards can be used.

Sponsored Links
I believe its a lime plaster, as it was built in 1932. Im wondering how the new homes cope that are built, as they use gypsum. Also if done in lime, will the walls have to be papered? Wont the paper or paint stop the wall from 'breathing'?

I believe its a lime plaster, as it was built in 1932. Im wondering how the new homes cope that are built, as they use gypsum. Also if done in lime, will the walls have to be papered? Wont the paper or paint stop the wall from 'breathing'?

Old houses weren't build with moderd damp prevention methods and often with no cavity, this is one reason why lime was used. Modern materials are impervious and so water finds it harder to get in, this is not so for old houses built with lime. Lime soaks water and naturally evaporates allowing the wall to breath so if you apply gypsum plasters this will stop the wall from breathing and so promote damp.

You can purchase paint etc that you can use on lime surfaces, these products allow the wall to breath ;)

Cheers mate, am i right in thinking its ok to have internal bedroom walls skimmed then? Im pretty sure the other walls i.e hall/landing are cavity as theres a gap between that and the external bricks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back