hair line cracks keep re-appearing - hollow plaster sound

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
we purchased a house built in 1940's... we decided to skim the whole house as there were cracks in the old plaster.

The house walls are solid brick walls.

they guy put two coats of plaster with pva.

we painted the whole house but found cracks after 3 months... there seems hairline cracks so we were suggested to fill them...

we filled them three times but they are keep coming back.....

i contacted a local decorator and he thinks it is blown plaster behind those cracks so filling is not gonna help.

there are not that many cracks. On average all walls and ceilings are 90% solid but there are certain places where i can hear plaster hollow sound when knocked.

is there any way to fix it or we have to re-bond all walls and ceilings again?

i was reading in somewhere there is way to inject pva behind the walls?

Sponsored Links
It does sound like the original plaster on the walls is failing in areas, so repairing by minor filling or even skimming over the cracks will not show long term benefits. So options are to knock all off and start a fresh (I doubt this an option you intend to use), rake out the areas where cracking is occurring and apply a deep basecoat repair and skim finish or you could rake out a 80mm-100mm band where the cracks are, tape repair joint, skim/blend in or easifill and sand.

What is the best way to find a qualified plasterer in Essex area?

Any recommendations pls?

There is no dedicated website that I am aware of that would help you search for a qualified plasterer. There are plenty of trade websites but that would not guarantee that a qualified or even an experienced plasterer would be available.
Word of mouth is nearly always the best way.

Sponsored Links
There is no dedicated website that I am aware of that would help you search for a qualified plasterer. There are plenty of trade websites but that would not guarantee that a qualified or even an experienced plasterer would be available.
Word of mouth is nearly always the best way.

Ditto,,, always word of mouth, and get 2 or 3 opinions/quotes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back