Skimming over sand & cement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I’m after bit of advice, please.

I blocked up the opening between our living room and dining room with aerated blocks and then rendered with 4-1-1 mix to bring level with the existing wall. I scratched the render to leave a key for plastering.

I was going to use thistle multifinish to level off n blend into the existing skimmed/painted wall.

What do I need to prime it before plastering? I’m assuming I need to coat the render with something to stop it sucking all the water out of the plaster and a bonding agent over the existing painted parts?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Did you put a "scratch coat" on then a float coat?

Sponsored Links
I mixed up some PVA 1:5 n painted all over the render n about 6-8” overlapping original painted wall. Left to dry overnight n gave it another coat of thicker PVA (2:1). I left it to go off, till it was still a little tacky not completely dry.

I then mixed up some multifinish which I had left over from skimming some boards up last year. Big mistake, I guess?! It seemed ok until I started putting it on. But it just all went off within a couple of minutes!

Obviously wasted most of the mix, which is ok, but I’m unsure now what to do about the stuff I did manage to get on the wall?

It does seem ok at moment (19hrs later). But is it likely to crack and make doing the rest of it impossible to get right? Should I re-PVA the whole area - going over the fresh plaster? Or do I need to remove the new plaster before retrying?

Many thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back