Can you plaster over tile adhesive

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Took off some old tiles off my bathroom wall and the majority of the tile adhesive is still stuck to the wall.
Can you plaster over tile adhesive? I will be re-tiling onto the wall so am only looking to smooth out the wall for a better tiling job.
I have a bag of plaster and don’t want it to go to waste otherwise I would think about using something else to smooth out the wall..
also as it doesn’t have to be perfect can I just do 1 coat of plaster?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Can you plaster over tile adhesive?

Sure; after all, you can tile adhesive over plaster - they stick to each other :)
Check that the wall is sound and free of contaminants though; if you had years of broken grout admitting soapy/conditioner-laden water to a patch of wall it might be best to chisel off any bits that would interfere with adhesion

Is the existing adhesive in dot dabs or was it applied with a notch trowel? What's the next set of adhesive going to be applied like?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back