fuse box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have hager fuse box I fitted a new light switch in my garage before fitting the switch the little black tab on the fuse box which cuts power to the lights I switched it down so that I could change the switch saftely on trying to put the switch back to the on position it refuses to stay on it goes to the off position I have put the origional switch back but the tab remains in the off position so I have no lightr in the front room ang garage do I need to reset the fuse box I am a bit baffeled as to why bthe switch would not go back to the on position
HELP

Sponsored Links
Does the breaker go 'pop' when you try and reset it? If so, Breezer will be right. If not, it could be the breaker has failed. You can remove the cable from the breaker and try and reset it again. If it stays down then the breaker is broken.

or, without touching any wires or picking up a screwdriver, you can turn off the main switch of the consumer unit, push "on" the lighting MCB, then turn on the main switch.

If it does trip when you do that, you have probably connected the wires to create a short circuit. It is a common mistake on lighting circuits.

Sponsored Links
Is the 'switch' centrally placed when in the off position?
If so you may need to push it down fully to reset it before pushing it back to the 'on' position.

Hi when i push the breaker up it clicks but dose not stay in place also if I hold there in the up position there si still no power to the lights although I do get a beep from the fire alarm which i think is connected to the same circuit as the lights

or, without touching any wires or picking up a screwdriver, you can turn off the main switch of the consumer unit, push "on" the lighting MCB, then turn on the main switch.

If it does trip when you do that, you have probably connected the wires to create a short circuit. It is a common mistake on lighting circuits.

Have you tried that yet?

holding the breaker in place does absolutely nothing since it's ony a spring loaded lever to work the internals.. they still click off internally and the lever wil just spring back down when released..

Hi I tried it I turned off the consumer unit pushed up the lighting mcb but it still goes to the off position even with the consumer unit off

Judging by what you say, the breaker is knackered. With the supply off, it should stay up. Perhaps you blew it when you wired in your new switch wrong?

It definetly sounds like its a broken mcb. you could try putting the circuit into another same rating and type mcb just to confirm it works. Be warned though that if you have put a short on the circuit then you risk breaking this mcb as well.

Its why we should always test before we energise really. If you arent confident though and dont know what you are doing then stay away from your fusebox as they arent places to go messing about in.

Is it possible to replace the suspect mcb do I have to get the same make as my consumer unit or just the same type eg amp rating and should I get an electrican to fit it

to be frank, the way I read it is that you have most likely made a wiring error which has caused a short-circuit. So if you get an electrician in to rectify that, he can swap the MCB as well.

MCBs only cost a few pounds. You must get the same make and type.

Cheers I have found and ordered the correct mcb I will get an electrican to rectify and fit the mcb

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back