Gable end to redo!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, we got some great advice and help with a roofing problem a few years ago so here goes with another......

We finished an extension 3 years ago with rendering being the last job. little bits of the top coat started to come off fairly soon after so earlier this year we got the bloke who did the job to have a look "yeah ill patch it up for a couple of hundred quid"
So he comes round to remove the loose render and almost the whole of one wall is now gone and the job is now "4hundred quid plus materials"
What is worse is his diagnosis being that the tiles don't stick out far enough past the cement board so water is running under the cement board and behind the top coat of render. So he set about moving the tiles knackering the mortar joint and breaking some of the tiles. I don' t think he realised we have a scaffold tower and were able to take a look - the broken bits were left up there so he could stick them back together and make the edge look nice. he is a renderer not a roofer!!

**We have no choice but to redo the end so obviously don't want to get it wrong potentially for a second time. should the tiles overhand the cement board, be flush or even in a bit?**

The renderer wants to put horrible plastic "easy verge" over the end as it will sort out the problem (no thank you!). My feeling is the render problem has more to do with the fact it was applied July 03 when the weather was red hot and it dried too quickly not bonding properly.

Anyway have a look and see what you think pic 1 is the mess he has left us with, 2 is the other gable so you can see what this one looks like only a week ago. 3 is the stuff of the top coat and 4 shows some of the undercoat.

Thanks!
IMG_20160528_153338.jpg
IMG_20160528_124743.jpg
IMG_20160528_124721.jpg
IMG_20160528_124703.jpg

Sponsored Links
I aalways assumed the tiles are dead level with the cloaking. I very much doubt capillary action will bring the water underneath the cloaking and into the render. Your theory of the hot day maybe right.
He's right about fitting the easy verge, water just drips off those things, that's if you don't mind your house looking a tad council.

Thanks - what you say makes sense and is what we thought. Don't want easy verge, it will look horrible, we would need to do the other side to match and it's not necessary!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back