Gap between double-glazing and frame...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We had double-glazing fitted a while back. After a few weeks, a 4-5mm gap appeared between the window and the frame in daughter's room.

The fitters came back and replaced the hinges for us, but the problem came right back a couple of weeks later.

Does anyone know if this indicates a more fundamental problem than the 2nd set of hinges being bad? For example, is it possible that the frame was "twisted" when installed? What do I need to ask the installers to fix?

(It was a massive stress to getting the installers to come back, so I'm hoping for advice on how to get them to fix the problem properly this time around!)

Thanks a lot for any advice
- Muppetina.

[/img]

Sponsored Links
That picture does suggest it's the hinge's, did you actually see them change the old pair?

you should have some sort of guarantee to cover this but if this is a problem i have used a product called sash seal/ window wedges, i get them off ebay item no. 190364204131 and they do work i have used them on dozens of sashes cheaper than new hinges if you can't get the firm to come back

you should have some sort of guarantee to cover this but if this is a problem i have used a product called sash seal/ window wedges, i get them off ebay item no. 190364204131 and they do work i have used them on dozens of sashes cheaper than new hinges if you can't get the firm to come back
I second that, and you can easily fit them yourself. If the hinges aren't actually broken they will work a treat.

Sponsored Links
Easy to check if the frame is twisted.

Put a level on one side of the window and then the other.

Even if the window is not 100% upright if its out by the same amount both sides you shouldn't have any problems....either(leaning in/out).
If one side is upright and the other is either leaning into your room our towards the outside,then it's a bad installation and I would get them back to take it out and fit properly,before adding any after market products, that if your window was fitted properly,you wouldn't need :)

Thanks a lot for the ideas. Hadn't thought of checking the frame with a spirit level. Seems to check out OK - has a slight slope into the room but this is equal on the left and right of the window.

Looking at it again, I think they may have only changed the hinge at the top of the window.

I'll try and get them in again and see what happens.

Thanks for the info!

Thanks again for all the advice.

In the end I called the company back in. They replaced the hinges and now everything is fine.

(Actually they eventually made 5 visits over the last 4 months because they kept bringing the wrong sized hinge. Drove me nuts but we got there eventually!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back