Gaps in the roof advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm Ross. First time poster. Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place.

Needing some loft advice please.

The other day I went in to my loft without putting the light on first and I noticed several places where sunlight was coming through. There are no leaks, but I'm worried about insulation.

Last year we had our guttering cleaning and there were no missing tiles on the roof.

Is there anything I can do from the loft the 'seal' these holes?

Thank you.

Ross

Sponsored Links
If you can see daylight, it's not insulation you need to be worried about. As above, you need a roofer.

Sponsored Links
Hi, I'm Ross. First time poster. Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place.

Needing some loft advice please.

The other day I went in to my loft without putting the light on first and I noticed several places where sunlight was coming through. There are no leaks, but I'm worried about insulation.

Last year we had our guttering cleaning and there were no missing tiles on the roof.

Is there anything I can do from the loft the 'seal' these holes?

Thank you.

Ross

How old is the house and what type of roof tiles do you have?

If you have an old house with no felt under the tiles there may well be areas where you can see chinks of daylight and the roof will still be watertight.

However, you should only be able to see the daylight when looking downwards, not up!

It's a semi ex council house. Built 60's. slate tiles.

No visible tiles missing. And yes can only see light downwards.

All sounds normal to me, stick your head up on a rainy day before you bother calling a roofer out.

If you have insulation above the ceiling it will not matter that you have a gale blowing through the loft (as long as any tanks & pipes are insulated) you can cause more problems by sealing up a loft than "letting the wind blow free"!

As said in an unfelted loft you will see gaps when looking downwards.

All sounds normal to me, stick your head up on a rainy day before you bother calling a roofer out.
:) as I said, there's no leaking and We've had some pretty nasty storms recently.

The answer to that then is "if it aint broke, don't fix it". Think of the gaps as extra ventilation.

But our heating bills are nuts. This could be the reason!

I think everyone's heating bills are nuts. Filling them holes will make fook all difference to your bills :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back