Garage - part change of use to playroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I currently have an integral garage, we are looking at converting approx 2/3 into a playroom. Please could anyone advise the best methods of:
Rasing the level of the floor and adding a wall into seperate the playroom and remaining garage. (stud or brick)

What I am not sure of is the building regs / requirenments as we want this to be fully compliant and be classed as a habitable room. (for future re-sale could be classes as a bedroom)

Any tips / advise would be gtreatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
andy - the first thing to do is to ring-up your Local Authority Planning Dept. and have a chat with them - you should find that they'll give you advice.

thanks, I have spoken to planning and they are sending a letter through confirming it is ok for change of use. I have been trying to speak to a building officer but haven't managed to get through yet!!!

Just thought I would see if I could get a head start!!

Easiest way to raise the floor is by spanning some timber joists and fitting chipboard flooring

For the wall, a timber stud partition.

This work will require building regs, and the main issues for this type of conversion are insulation to the floor and walls (and ceiling if its an external roof), means of escape from the room, and fire protection to the stud wall between the garage and new room

You will need a secondary exit route if the door to this new playroom leads directly onto another room. If it leads to a hallway, then you are OK

Sponsored Links
Dont be silly Mr N, now who actually does put their car in the garage? :D

Owners of Fords Ka's, Daewoo Matiz's, Citroen C1's
and Noddy may park in their garage

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back