Garden appliance cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to replace the cable on our electric lawn mower as it has gone hard and is cracking. I've noticed this on a few garden appliances over the years but our hedge trimmer has a nice supple orange that I much prefer for easy stowage. They all seem to be advertised on the internet as 3182Y which I am assuming is some sort of standard they have to meet but is there a different standard for supple cable? Thanks

Sponsored Links
I have found the super flexible cable tends to end up like a extendable coil as it gets wound up inside the cable. The problem is with the lawn mower the cable is attached to the mower, so you can't use a cable reel, use of a connector close to the mower seems the answer 1716024269053.png these allow one to swap the cable with easy every few years, without needing to strip down the mower, I tend to used the three pin type 1716024438458.png then I can use it for class II items as well.

Thnaks for the suggestion Eric but changing at the mower is not difficult and I think I have been coiling cable for enough years to aviod damaging it. The problem is that the orange cable that comes with most garden appliances does not seem to like being stored in a cold shed and hardens and cracks over time. There must be a more supple type available but I'm struggling to find any.

One is talking about the plasticiser leaching out over time, this means the plastic used was poor quality, nothing to do with how supple, rubber cable does not have the same problem, but has others, but heat resistance flex does seem to be generally better.

Sponsored Links
Thnaks for the suggestion Eric but changing at the mower is not difficult and I think I have been coiling cable for enough years to aviod damaging it. The problem is that the orange cable that comes with most garden appliances does not seem to like being stored in a cold shed and hardens and cracks over time. There must be a more supple type available but I'm struggling to find any.
Oh... I have lots of pvc cable and most is stored in a single skin brick shed, lots being mains extension leads and louspeaker cable amounting to thousands of metres.

The biggest problem I suffer with is nothing to do with this thread topic, it's people not knowing how to wind cable correctly and twisting it, making it go curly and/or lumpy where the conductors twist differently to the outer sheath. As mooted by Eric.

The biggest problem I suffer with is nothing to do with this thread topic, it's people not knowing how to wind cable correctly and twisting it, making it go curly and/or lumpy where the conductors twist differently to the outer sheath. As mooted by Eric.
Agree ?

Oh... I have lots of pvc cable and most is stored in a single skin brick shed, lots being mains extension leads and louspeaker cable amounting to thousands of metres.

When I started on the shop floor after the training school as a spotty young apprentice I was working with an old guy cutting cables to lengths ready for panel wiring, As I started to wind up the cables around my elbow the journey man said to me " what are you doing young man " "coiling the cables like you told me" I replied.
It's not your mothers F-ing washing line he bawled at me and than showed me how it should be done. Never forgot that lesson. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back