Garden Lighting - fuse/cable ratings etc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just installed 4 halogen spotlights in my garden. The instuctions suggest either wiring into a 3am spur or a suitable plug and the use of 1mm T&E cable.

I have in effect created a radial circuit by running all 4 lights in line off one plug (if that makes sense). The idea was to then to plug into a mechanical timer unit.

Questions I have are:

1. Is a 3 amp fuse sufficient if I have more than one light going through the plug.
2. It appears that I am overloading the timer as I have now bought 3 (one works perfectly on an internal lamp) and two have failed to switch off at the desired time, when used. The details with the timer say it is rated at 13 amps (resistive loads) and 4 amps (inductive loads) - is this the problem.
3. I want to extend the 'radial' circuit by adding two further lights - can I? Will I need to upgrade to 1.5mm or higher?

So many questions - so little time!!

Thanks in advance for your help and advice.

Russell

Sponsored Links
Property Innovations said:
I have just installed 4 halogen spotlights in my garden. The instuctions suggest either wiring into a 3am spur or a suitable plug and the use of 1mm T&E cable.
You cannot use unprotected T&E outdoors.

1. Is a 3 amp fuse sufficient if I have more than one light going through the plug.
No idea - it depends entirely on the rating of the lamps. Can you divide watts by volts? Has the plug fuse blown?

2. It appears that I am overloading the timer as I have now bought 3 (one works perfectly on an internal lamp) and two have failed to switch off at the desired time, when used. The details with the timer say it is rated at 13 amps (resistive loads) and 4 amps (inductive loads) - is this the problem.
No idea - it depends entirely on the rating of the lamps. Can you divide watts by volts? But if you've not blown the plug fuse then it's unlikely that you've overloaded the timer.

3. I want to extend the 'radial' circuit by adding two further lights - can I? Will I need to upgrade to 1.5mm or higher?
No idea - it depends entirely on the rating of the lamps.

So many questions - so little time!!
Just two really - what current will the lamps draw, and how long will the cable be?

Sponsored Links
i should have been more specific, are they "low voltage" or mains?

Property Innovations said:
a 3am spur

Is this a spur that likes to party?

Can you rely on it to be available when you need it, without it being hungover or dog-tired?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back