Garden lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are embarking on a large garden project which will include about 60m of paths and a couple of ponds. We want to provide some lighting throughout but nothing spectacular. I assume this should all be low voltage to make things easier from a regulations point of view - and safer. The longest single cable run from the transformer location will be about 35m. It seems sensible to run the cables under the paths where possible to avoid digging them up by mistake later but they would vunerable to sharp stones during construction. Does all this sound realistic? What spec of cable should I use? Would it be better to use a protective conduit?

Sponsored Links
I might be wrong but I think even ultra low voltage (12v) stuff still comes under part P and other regs, but yep it is safer.

aparerntly it does.

but look at this

Mr BCO inspector i am putting in some 12v lights in my garden, they cost £9.99 i need you to come (or send some one) to inspect them how much will that be?

£150

:eek: F*** that

I know its the principal but it is taking the P for something like this

I think the best advice on offer would be to call an electrician and run by him exactly what lights/pond pumps you want and where you want them. You could probably get by with ELV lighting, part P debate aside, but you will surely require 230v for any decent size pond pump.

FWIW, I have yet to come across a set of ELV lights that I have been impressed with. You would be much better off asking an electrician to lay in some suitable SWA cable and install exterior grade 230v fittings.

Sponsored Links
the op never mentioned pond pumps.

but if there is to be pond pumps you will also need a UV (dont ask) which does require mains. and to get water to it will need a pump and mains pumps are best

Thanks for those thoughts. Looks as if it's not as simple as I'd hoped but my wife is set on having lighting so I'll get an electrician to take a look. Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back