Garden wooden planters help needed

Sponsored Links
Thanks and I will check the quantities.

I am more concerned at the advice that many of the clear ones do not work externally.

I've now read that wanting a clear external wood preserver is not a great idea as many of the clear ones do not work externally including one well known brand. I do not like the vivid colours.

The Toolstation one looks fine. Does Burnerman have personal experience of it please?

Thanks everybody
mygoose

Sponsored Links
I am still trying to learn about this.

Do you cut the liner like a bag to enclose the compost or cut individual squares for each side and bottom please?

Thanks for help
mygoose

Is there any way to fix the lining other than a stapler please?

The compost will hold it in place so I doubt there is any need to staple it at all. If you really want to fix it, use wooden battens and screws.

Thanks.

I asked in the builders merchants today when their drawing pins that had been suggested were a bit flimsy and they said to use netting staples.

mygoose

I cannot see how to cut the liner to fit with any accuracy and would be grateful for some help please.

mygoose

As mentioned, be it drawing pins, staples or a bit of masking tape or anything else, they're merely there to hold the fabric/plastic in place whilst you fill it with soil.

Heres a wooden planter that I made from a fence post and some spare floor boards....

Garden5_zps4fb1d407.jpg

I painted it with Cuprinol Heritage Shades 'Willow' paint, then lined it with some plastic sheeting to keep the wet soil away from the timber, then slashed the plastic at the bottom of the planter to allow excess water to drain away. I then put a thick layer of broken up bits of polystyrene in the bottom to assist drainage, then filled with compost.

Thanks. I am sorry but I just do not see how I could cut the liner to the right size.

Thanks for help

mygoose

Forgive me, but you are making terribly hard work of this......when your planter is ready, just get the membrane / fabric or whatever, and lay it over the top.....then just fill with compost / soil or whatever it is you intend to use and the filler will push the membrane into place - just trim it after with a stanley knife.
If you want to secure the edges at the top - sometimes unnecessary - consider using short felt nails (15mm long with a large flat head, galvanised) and the jobs done. You can always poke the odd drainage hole later.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back