Garden wooden planters help needed

I have decided to use Burnerman's recommended Barrettine in Golden Brown.

Please would you mind telling this learner roughly how much I would need to do the 6 crates one coat inside and out 6 crates 33" square and 30" high.

Thanks
mygoose

Sponsored Links
My planters arrive yesterday and Burnerman's recommended Barrettine is on the way.

Are there any tips for applying it please?

Thanks for help.

mygoose

Thanks.

My planters arrive yesterday and Burnerman's recommended Barrettine is on the way.

Are there any tips for applying it please?

Thanks for help.

mygoose

Yes, read the instructions provided for you on the label.

Sponsored Links
Thanks but I haven't got it yet.

I would greatly value any experiences others may have.

Thanks for help.

mygoose

Basically don't skimp on the application by brush - you'll see how well the timber absorbs the liquid - and put even more of the liquid on any exposed end grain and on the bottom where the planter will touch ground.
John :)

Basically don't skimp on the application by brush - you'll see how well the timber absorbs the liquid - and put even more of the liquid on any exposed end grain and on the bottom where the planter will touch ground.

Thanks. I am going to start with a 5 litre can and see how I go.

mygoose

Thanks. I am going to use a small hand spray and hope that will be OK instead of a brush.

Thanks for help.

mygoose

I stand my wooden planters on pieces of roof tile so they aren't sat in the wet.

Thank you.

Mine have got feet. Do I still have to stand them on something? The feet are wood the same as the crate's heavy surround.

Love your planter

Thanks for help

mygoose

Please would someone say how long it will be before the crates are considered dry enough to fill with compost?

Barrettine said 48 hours but I have read elsewhere that it is more likely to be 3 weeks.

Thanks

mygoose

Seriously, is this thread a wind-up? :confused:

Yes, I've come to that conclusion too and too late by all accounts. :mad:

I am not up to making smart remarks such as freddymercurystwin and ceres here and I am perplexed by these comments of theirs which are very hurtful. They should try to be more tolerant of us who do not know what to do.

I am an old aged pensioner in my seventies and have a permanent disability. I am only a small lady and cannot lift the heavy crates. I cannot manage to use a brush. I am struggling to do this job that I know nothing about.

freddymercurystwin and ceres should understand that some are fortunate to know more than others but not everyone knows everything.

I am thankful for the excellent help I have had on here, particularly Burnerman's terrific replies, without which I would not have got this far.

I would be grateful for a reply to my outstanding questions. They are; -

· Is it OK to use a small spray gun as I cannot use a brush?
· How long will it take for the preserver to be dry enough to put in the compost?
· Burnerman and LeadFarmer said to put the crates off the ground so will the crates’ own feet be sufficient or should the feet be off the ground?

I would also be grateful if Burnerman would please help me if I get stuck once I get started.

Thanks all for help
mygoose

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back