Gas cooker installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had gas supplied to my kitchen so I could install a fairly new cooker, moved from my old house.
The fitter told me that he checked all his pipe work and hose and could find no leak but when attaching the cooker a small one registered on his Gauge. Is it possible that the Gauge would register something when the supply is attached to it or do I now have to get a new cooker?
Can anyone help?

Sponsored Links
Maybe theres a leak on the hose connection - why didin't the fitter locate the leak - easy job.

It is permissable to have a drop of up to 4mbar through appliances (on a standard type meter) provided there is no smell of gas. This is to allow normal wear and tear of gas taps etc.

In practice most customers will smell a 0.5 mbar drop.

It would be unusual to have a gas leak on a cooker of this age unless it is a cheap and nasty version that requires a heatshield plate when grilling.

Users don't bother and the gas taps overheat and leak gas.

8) Thank you for your very helpful replies.
I've now bought my own gas guage but yet to work out how to use it.

Without wanting to bore you here's a more detailed background.

When I said the cooker was fairly new, what I should have said was that it was a new Stoves bought 4 years ago but since moving (2 1/2 years ago) it had sat in the garage. I prepared the slot in the kitchen in advance of the fitter (a young, newly qualified Corgi) arriving, which meant removing the glass 'lid'.
The fitter thought that the way I removed this could have caused a problem because I didn't follow the manual. I looked at the manual later, and removed the side panels as it suggested, incase there was something I should have done, but didn't. The result was that it was another, more complicated way of doing what I did in the first place.

I have now bought a Monument U Gauge (257c) but I'm not sure how to use it. The fitter had told my wife I could call him and he would talk me through it. Are these things easy to use?

Alextom

Sponsored Links
I have now bought a Monument U Gauge (257c) but I'm not sure how to use it.

take it back if you didn't get the instructions with it :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

failing that go to an approved ACS centre and for a small :rolleyes: fee they will explain :eek:

I've bought a thing called a scalpel, and some forceps....
Nothing can go wrong can it?
violent_club.gif

kevplumb said:
I have now bought a Monument U Gauge (257c) but I'm not sure how to use it.

take it back if you didn't get the instructions with it :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

failing that go to an approved ACS centre and for a small :rolleyes: fee they will explain :eek:

yes dad The U gauge costs about 3500 plus vat but you do get free corgi registration and ACS qualifications wif it

:)

which meant removing the glass 'lid'

The fitter thought that the way I removed this could have caused a problem

It pointing towards a leak on the lid shutoff (unless it has switchback)

Thank you Gasguru

The problem seems to have been solved. A leak may have occurred because of the way I removed the lid originally.
There has been no smell of gas; I have managed to use the U Gauge which doesn't indicate a leak.
I'm planning to do another check for leaks just to be sure.
Alextom

alextom.which part of london you live in.just a general idea please.
just asking as my cat/dog and au pair does not like loud bangs,au pair only gets a bang once a week,no need to spoil her.

yes dad The U gauge costs about 3500 plus vat but you do get

Corgiman, Kier either you're idiots or you are those people who like to treat others like idiots. The U gauge I bought cost £15 from the Plumbshop and I used it in exactly the same way as the Corgi engineer did (a friend of a friend who I wish I knew earlier), who came round two days later.

They`d be the latter of the 2 options .....I`m one of the first :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Alextom said:
yes dad The U gauge costs about 3500 plus vat but you do get

Corgiman, Kier either you're idiots or you are those people who like to treat others like idiots. The U gauge I bought cost £15 from the Plumbshop and I used it in exactly the same way as the Corgi engineer did (a friend of a friend who I wish I knew earlier), who came round two days later.
#

mmm sorry you missed the joke tom

I was saying that a u guage is about 15

but the the course that you are required to undertake to use it legally are about 3500 plus vat

so I am not an idiot, and I wish you luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back