Gas fire question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I have a gas fire question. I know this is a central heating forum but I know someone reading this will know! I have a Robinson willey firecharm rs.

The pilot won't light on its own accord, however lights instantly with a match and burns strong and blue (both up and sideways)

There is a spark when lighting, but this is jumping between the ignitor and the thermocouple, not to the pilot jet.

I'm not asking for a guide on how to fix (because I know I won't get one) but just an idea of what might need replacing so I can weigh up the cost. We are getting a new fire put in just after Xmas, so if its going to be pricey to get a gas man in, ill use a match until then! If its pretty simple, ill get it done.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sponsored Links
it will spark to the nearest thing, therefore the spark electrode is too close to the thermocouple & not close enough to the pilot

Ah ok so it may just need adjusting? Or if not would that mean that the electrode is worn away and needs replacing? I'm guessing either way its not going to be mega bucks for someone to sort?

I assume I can't adjust it myself? I'd be confident doing something straight foward like this but don't wanna break any laws!

I would charge £70, but would service and safety test the fire. If you are changing it, then keep using matches or try to adjust yourself. if you break the electrode, then back to matches!

Where are you in the UK?

Sponsored Links
Dan - you're correct

OP (Billy) - you should not be removing the glass on your fire, this is breaking the seal that prevents flue gases getting into your room and could cause a dangerous situation. Please refrain from lighting the fire with matches. Suggest you get the fire serviced properly by a pro, as Fireman has suggested it's not expensive - he charges £70, we're £45+vat so you're looking at that kind of area, and for that you'll get much more than just an electrode adjustment (although a new electrode would be extra cost to supply and fit)

Thanks for the advice. Yes it has a glass front, but I have the user instructions (the ones that say installer please hand to customer) which say the glass should be removed and cleaned periodically with instructions of how to do it. The book also actually has instructions for lighting with a flint if the piezo fails to start up the pilot.
There's also a separate sticker on the fireplace showing how to remove and clean the glass (just two hand turning nuts rather than screws) therefore I assumed it would be fine to do this.

Although its got a glass front, we do still have a normal flue/ chimney.

I will go price up the fire we want and weigh up if we can afford it a bit earlier than planned other than wasting money on this one. If new one is going to be too much at the moment, ill get someone to come service this one as you suggest.

Thanks for the help!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back