Gas hob installation cost

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Lots of posts about installing hobs and how I can't use a flex hose which the old cooker was fitted using.

What a fair price for fitting a gas hob from a Corgi person?

Also any ideas on how much to just cap a old gas line to a fire?

please note 9

Sponsored Links
Any visit £40 + unless it's in the same road as you live (I get a lot of those!). Hob - A few quids worth of bits plus £40 upwards for the hour it might take.

ChrisR said:
Any visit £40 + unless it's in the same road as you live (I get a lot of those!). Hob - A few quids worth of bits plus £40 upwards for the hour it might take.

It takes an hour to fit a hob?? :eek: :eek:

I fix my nabours stuff for free plus parts then they don't write to the council about all the boilers and the like dumped outside my house and radiators and the like in the conservatory.

Chris R and I seem to be on a par price wise, he must be in a godforsaken corner where nobody has any money also.

Sponsored Links
I charge £60 including parts (fittings,pipe,valve) if the gas pipe is below the hob position and the worktop is cut to size. This also includes removing the old hob if replacing, and relighting pilots in boilers (sometimes a real pain). Usually takes an hour and a half, never done it in an hour yet (too much yanking ovens around)

Paul Barker said:
Chris R and I seem to be on a par price wise, he must be in a godforsaken corner where nobody has any money also.

Hmmm, not too sure about that Paul :D

You suggesting it would take much less than an hour Freddie? Even without any woodcutting and using 10mm copper, by the time you found the right bits, checked eveything for operating correctly and gas soundness before and after, got the silly clamps on, or half of them because they don't all fit, it's easily an hour for me.

Did one once in 15mm which was a pain to get at , and had very little space behind/above the oven. Took two and a half hours. Shop was selling me at £80 per hour, so £200, plus vat.

Rob_Quads said:
What a fair price for fitting a gas hob from a Corgi person?

Also any ideas on how much to just cap a old gas line to a fire?

please note 9

as you can see difference of opinion, it also depends on how "easy" the job is, access to the job, your location etc i suggest you get several quotes then you will know.

On a recent trip to Italy, I noticed that ironmongers (so what else should one visit in Florence?) stock hob connectors which resemble those corrugated copper tap connectors that used to be available here before flexis came in. They were coated in yellow plastic, various lengths (typically 1 metre) and had a 1/2" swivel nut on the hob end, and cost about £12 (probably half that from trade supplier). Connecting hobs with these must be a whole lot quicker and simpler, so why can't we have them here?

ChrisR said:
You suggesting it would take much less than an hour Freddie? Even without any woodcutting and using 10mm copper, by the time you found the right bits, checked eveything for operating correctly and gas soundness before and after, got the silly clamps on, or half of them because they don't all fit, it's easily an hour for me.

Did one once in 15mm which was a pain to get at , and had very little space behind/above the oven. Took two and a half hours. Shop was selling me at £80 per hour, so £200, plus vat.

Ah appologies i thought you were just connecting a bit of pipe, but then again i didnt know it was your job to cut the hole in the worktop either, something i would never have got in to.

I would definetly charge an hour if not more as it wouldnt be worth it.

Glad i dont do this stuff anymore but i used to love it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back