Gas leak in newly purchased house!!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Purchased my house 3 weeks ago and called a gas qualified engineer to remove a low level gas pipe in my garage.

He did this no prob but found that the boiler has a broken valve which means gas has literally been "pi@@ing" out of the flue.

Does anyone know what my rights are regarding going back to the vendor? Surely they have a duty of care?

I do not recall being presented with gas/electrical safety certificates. Are these something that are no longer required? I did ask for these as I was under the impression that when you sold a property you are legally required to have a gas and electricity inspection undertaken and therefore produce certificates at point of sale?

All I was presented with was invoices detailing the work undertaken to install boiler etc 7 years ago.

What are my legal rights here?

I am frustrated as the numpty previously in ownership of the property has literally bodged EVERYTHING!

Sponsored Links
I always assumed when buying a house that you have very few rights or warranties: It's 'sold as seen'. Hence the requirement for surveys and inspections prior to purchase.

I have never heard of requiring gas and electricity 'certificates' when selling a house. Again, this is the sort of thing which may be discovered by your solicitors during their searches/checks. Same as checking for unauthorised extensions/building work.

Did you pay to have the plumbing/boiler checked?

The vendor might not have known it was leaking, also it may be a new problem.

Andy

In my experience a gas valve will pass a small amount when faulty and certainly cannot be described as pi@@ing out as you say.
It was probably picked up when your man did a tightness test.
Certificates are not mandatory during a house purchase, but the clever buyer may well get these things checked before signing on the dotted line.
Safety certs are required for rental properties. Were there any invoices to prove any servicing of said boiler? I don't like your chances of any compensation, but hey it's worth a letter to your solicitor.

Sponsored Links
not sure about English law but in Scotland you have 6 days from picking up the keys to claim for this kind of thing, you are outwith that period so dont really think you have much of a chance of recompense

The gas engineer has advised to leave the gas "off" as a significant amount was leaking out.

i did try to have these tests undertaken but the vendor would not play ball as he wanted a sharp sale and there was LOTS of interest on the property. Basically, if it wasnt me paying £X it was the next guy down the line......

Regardless, it is not right to sell properties like this. Its unsafe!

I have not received a gas bill yet but surely this would provide an indication.

Did your gas man test the installation before doing the alteration and report to you there is an existing gas leak,this I believe is the correct procedure.
In your situation the Numpty could be yourself or your gas man or both.

I am frustrated as the numpty previously in ownership of the property has literally bodged EVERYTHING!

Quote,buyer beware.

The gas engineer has advised to leave the gas "off" as a significant amount was leaking out.

i did try to have these tests undertaken but the vendor would not play ball as he wanted a sharp sale and there was LOTS of interest on the property. Basically, if it wasnt me paying £X it was the next guy down the line......

Regardless, it is not right to sell properties like this. Its unsafe!

I have not received a gas bill yet but surely this would provide an indication.

if what you describe as a "significant amount" is passing and your gas engineer thought it was dangerous then he/she should have physically disconnected it from the gas supply with your permission not just advise you to leave it turned off, I wouldnt have too much faith in his diagnosis Im afraid,your gas bill wont provide you with any indication of a passing gas valve

Did your gas man test the installation before doing the alteration and report to you there is an existing gas leak,this I believe is the correct procedure.

Quote,buyer beware.

Do me a favour and get stuffed. I have posted on here for a discussion and some people have provided useful comments. What use is your comment?

I was at work when the qualified gas engineer attended. He has been in his trade for over 30 years and who the hell are you to question his or my integrity without knowing a damn thing about either of us. Really, just get a life and do something useful with your sad life.!

He disconnected a pipe in the garage. The identified leak is at the boiler flue SO no he did not cause the leak! Why I am justifying this to you I just don't know.

what has happended to this forum where increasing numbers of people are quite frankly morons

what is the make and model of your boiler ? some are more prone than others for the gas valves letting by, the Worcesters with the Dungs gas valve are particularly prone to this

Quote,buyer beware.

Do me a favour and get stuffed. I have posted on here for a discussion and some people have provided useful comments. What use is your comment?

I was at work when the qualified gas engineer attended. He has been in his trade for over 30 years and who the hell are you to question his or my integrity without knowing a damn thing about either of us. Really, just get a life and do something useful with your sad life.!

He disconnected a pipe in the garage. The identified leak is at the boiler flue SO no he did not cause the leak! Why I am justifying this to you I just don't know.

what has happended to this forum where increasing numbers of people are quite frankly morons

The man made a useful comment actually, he asked you a reasonable queston.
You bought a house with a 7 year old boiler which it turns out has a fault which the previous owner couldn't reasonably be expected to know about, tough.
If you'd bought a new house with a new boiler you woud have something to moan about.
No doubt I'll be classed as a moron as well for not writing what you want to read. :rolleyes:

what is the make and model of your boiler ? some are more prone than others for the gas valves letting by, the Worcesters with the Dungs gas valve are particularly prone to this

It is a "Glowworm" boiler. I had never heard of these until moving in!

How much is this valve typically to replace (parts and labour?)

Thanks

Quote,buyer beware.

Well as a "gasman" I would have tested your gas pipework BEFORE touching it. This would have discovered the leak. Depending upon the size of the leak (which would be shown by my test) I would either find and fix the leak BEFORE doing the work originally asked to do. Or if it was within tollerances (you are allowed to have tiny gs leaks) I would have done your work and left as it was.

You super gas man has made a noose for himself by leaving a gas supply on (not physically disconnected) if the leak was over tolerances. Advising you to turn your gas off is CRAZY! either turn it off or dont.

Oh and try Claims4u no win no fee!!!! Oh and remember to prove the gas valve was leaking when you bought the house not after when you moved in ;) .... Should be easy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back