Gas leak in newly purchased house!!!!

Ok.

These negative replies really are not helpful. I am really not looking for arguments but just some HELP.

The gas engineer has just blocked the supply to my boiler. Sorry if I got the terms wrong. I am an accountant and would not expect the majority of people on here to be coversant with a cashflow statement, consolidations, IFRSs or many other concepts so please give me a break.

Sponsored Links
Did your gas man test the installation before doing the alteration and report to you there is an existing gas leak,this I believe is the correct procedure.
In your situation the Numpty could be yourself or your gas man or both.

I am frustrated as the numpty previously in ownership of the property has literally bodged EVERYTHING!

Quote,buyer beware.

Do me a favour and get stuffed. I have posted on here for a discussion and some people have provided useful comments. What use is your comment?

I was at work when the qualified gas engineer attended. He has been in his trade for over 30 years and who the hell are you to question his or my integrity without knowing a damn thing about either of us. Really, just get a life and do something useful with your sad life.!

He disconnected a pipe in the garage. The identified leak is at the boiler flue SO no he did not cause the leak! Why I am justifying this to you I just don't know.

what has happended to this forum where increasing numbers of people are quite frankly morons

The man made a useful comment actually, he asked you a reasonable queston.
You bought a house with a 7 year old boiler which it turns out has a fault which the previous owner couldn't reasonably be expected to know about, tough.
If you'd bought a new house with a new boiler you woud have something to moan about.
No doubt I'll be classed as a moron as well for not writing what you want to read. :rolleyes:

Dream on you to**er. He called me a numpty for no reason.

When I said the previous owner was a bodger I was talking about the condition of the whole house not just the gas situation, which I assume he has not touched himself! God almighty u are one sad git! GO AND GET LAID!

I did answer you question

How do you plan to PROVE the gas valve leaked BEFORE you bought the house, it could have happened when you moved in.

Wouldnt expect to get any money back.

As for prices can your gas man not help you? Or a google search should give you a idea. Google gas valve (insert boiler make model)

I did answer you question

How do you plan to PROVE the gas valve leaked BEFORE you bought the house, it could have happened when you moved in.

Wouldnt expect to get any money back.

As for prices can your gas man not help you? Or a google search should give you a idea. Google gas valve (insert boiler make model)

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
what is the make and model of your boiler ? some are more prone than others for the gas valves letting by, the Worcesters with the Dungs gas valve are particularly prone to this

It is a "Glowworm" boiler. I had never heard of these until moving in!

How much is this valve typically to replace (parts and labour?)

Thanks

If you contact Glow worm they offer a fixed price service for breakdowns which is inclusive of parts and labour and carries a guarentee, give them a call and see how much it is , gas valves vary depending on which boiler you have but are generally expensive so usually worthwhile going for the guarenteed repair

Dream on you to**er. He called me a numpty for no reason.

No, he said you may be one. Your bad tempered adolescent style replies since leave no doubt. :rolleyes:

Sooey,

You must appreciate that its pretty frustrating when you come on here for some advice and people give everything but advice.

Your comments were hardly useful themselves.

So yes, I may have shown frustration but come on guys we are all humans here and the purpose of this forum is to help one another out.

Just what is wrong with some people.....that is why I respond the way I did!

Camel toe :D i said you could be a numpty but after reading your previous posts going back 2 years I can now say I was very wrong,sorry.

I can confirm from your previous posts that you are a TOTAL numpty.

Harry.

Its generally considered that a buyer should have a survey of the property BEFOR signing the contract. That can be expended to cover heating and electrical aspects.

Surely you would not believe everthing a used car salesman said about it or even an estate agent selling a house?

An independent surveyer is always a good idea!

i did try to have these tests undertaken but the vendor would not play ball as he wanted a sharp sale and there was LOTS of interest on the property. Basically, if it wasnt me paying £X it was the next guy down the line......

To my eye, this is the key to the problem.

Rather than have the property inspected before you exchanged contracts, and run the risk of losing it, you took the risk of buying it uninspected. That means you chose the alternative risk that there would be faults you didn't know about (in addition to those which inspections might have missed).

I have no way of knowing if the value to you of being the succesful bidder is greater or smaller than the value of problems subsequently discovered.

It makes me think of being so keen to buy a car that I buy it even though the seller won't let me take it for a test drive or look under the bonnet to see if it has an engine (sorry)

I think the term is caveat Emptor, buyer beware. I always advise people to have the gas, heating and plumbing inspected before they buy a property. Most don't and are then shocked when I turn up to service the appliances and shut them off as being unsafe. The fact that the guy was unwilling to let anyone carry out these tests should have rung the warning bells.

The gas engineer has just blocked the supply to my boiler. Sorry if I got the terms wrong. I am an accountant and would not expect the majority of people on here to be coversant with a cashflow statement, consolidations, IFRSs or many other concepts so please give me a break.
[/quote]

Hmmm, as an accountant, Camel should be reasonably intelligent. I think most people know that a house is bought as seen, and YOU chose to purchase without having items tested. The vendor may have been flighty, but you chose to respond to his pressure by signing the dotted line.

A gas valve is likely to be in the low hundreds, and you would have payed a small chunk for a survey, so it shouldn't break your bank.

I did wonder why you call yourself a Camel. But as the thread progressed, I assumed it is because you always have the hump?

Fix it, pay up, move on. Such a minor problem in a huge purchase such as a house. I doubt very much the vendor deceived you. The onus is on you before sale to do the necessary due diligence.
I had a connection to the water tank in the loft come adrift 3 weeks after moving in to mine - ceiling down.
Just one of those things, annoying, but one of those things.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back