Gas Meter Bracket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are there any gas meter guys on here? I had a new regulator fitted on my meter last week due to a slight leak, and whilst that is now ok I've had a closer look at it and see the incoming pipe (left hand side) is no longer fixed to the supporting bracket, so the entire weight of the meter is being held by the outgoing pipe (right hand side). Is this ok or normal practice now?

I see there's a groove on the incoming pipe thats supposed to sit in a cut-out on the bracket, but the cut out is bigger than the groove, hence it isn't supporting it. I've checked a friend's meter and see they have a little attachment fitted and riveted in place to overcome the problem.

Sponsored Links
It's not correct as a new install. Call them back and get them to secure it to the wall bracket correctly.

It's knowing who to contact to get them back. I originally rang the National Grid on 0800 111999 number as I could smell the gas and they sent out Northern Gas Networks who fitted the new part and stopped the leak. The national grid only seem to intervene in emergencies so should I try Northern Gas Networks directly?

Another things is the meter is 25 years old. Aren't I due a replacement one by now? If so then I'm told to contact my energy provider, who in turn may employ Northern Gas Metering, who are a subsidiary of Northern Gas Networks. There's too many people to pass the buck!

post a photo (of the gas meter,its attachment to bracket and the regulator) is the bracket screwed to a wall ?.

old meter,write to your gas supply company address on your bills.

i had a gas meter exchanged once and it was classed as dangerous by a an engineer doing a landlord check on my property.
well thats another story.

good luck.

Sponsored Links
probably not the worst thing you could find wrong with a gas meter, but yes the bracket is there to support the weight of the meter so it doesn't put additional strain on the pipework.

You could contact your supplier to have them check it out.

Or get national grid back in.

If you could post a picture of it, that would be great

The bracket is fixed to the wall ok, it's the incoming pipe to the meter that isn't fixed to the bracket. The meter is 100% supported by the other side of the bracket, when the weight should be split 50/50 across it.

Obviously the new regulator pipe doesn't have a big enough flange on it like the old one that was removed.

Little slot bracket that is special for smaller fittings should have been used.
In reality it wont harm meter or cause a leak but it should have been fitted

Thanks. I noticed a friend has a little slot bracket in his but it's been riveted in place using that hole you can see in the pic. Doesn't this make replacing the meter/regulator in the future difficult?

as Gas112 says, it should have a little clamp.

There are a few different types, the one your friend has is probably metal, and the rivet is a sheer bolt, 8mm nut which snaps off when the rivet is completely screwed in.

I assumed from your earlier posts that the inlet of the meter wasn't in the slot of the bracket, but the same still applies, all the weight of the meter is on the outlet side. but the meter being in a meterbox, the bracket will be rivetted to the box and should put less strain on the outlet pipework.

Call NG back up and get them to put the adaptor in place.

Yeah that's right. The one on my mate's is metal. Just a little adaptor that mine clearly needs. I would guess it would need to be made of metal in order to take the weight of the meter as anything else would just snap/flex.

I rang National Grid and they didn't want to know. Said to contact the company that came out - Northern Gas Networks. So I rang them and they said they don't touch/fit the brackets, it's up to the supplier. I said it was fine until your guy fitted the new part (which I'm grateful for) but didn't secure it properly. She was adamant they don't do brackets but would send a guy out tomorrow to do a safety check. Sounds like I'll be getting fobbed off. Should this guy carry these little adaptors on the van? He clearly has a stock of regulators in there but maybe not these little brackets???

And are they easy to remove (by a pro) when a new meter is needed? I wonder if the guy that came out thought my meter would be getting replaced soon so there was no point fitting the adaptor. He was thorough with his checks on pressure etc so I was surprised to discover that bracket missing.

If one is fitted, it will be white and plastic, more than enough to hold the meter in place. regulator will need to be removed in order to fit it.

Havent seen any metal ones for a few years, perhaps they still have some. The metal one would not require removal of the regulator or meter before its put in place. it just slots in place.

Hmm what's the betting he'll tell me it's fine as it is. Still, I like a job done properly. The bracket is designed to hold both sides of the meter so that's what I expect.

Have you got a pic of one of the white plastic ones? Does the regulator need to be removed from the brass thread in order to fit the plastic adaptor or just unscrewed from the meter?

Out of interest I also found a white conical thing (about 6" in height -no jokes please!!) in a couple of friends meter boxes. What are these for? Clearly they weren't used in the installations.

cant find a picture of the adaptor on the net, Ill try and get a picture for you tomorrow.

The brass bit doesn't need to be removed, the adaptor slots into the groove on the brass bit, then the regulator is slid in into the bracket and the adaptor gives it the snug fit.

Think the conical thing is probably the start of the sleeve for pipework going through the back of the box.

nah you wouldn't I havent got any and cant remember the 'company' name for it to re-order some more :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back