Gas meter position

ye see what your saying now . but can't advise what i would do because i can see you trying it :censored::censored: ( depends how far?? ) .TBH £ 300 for new door your doing well i must say , obviously thats without fitting as well ye ???? have you tried fitting one before ?

Sponsored Links
I disagree , if Southern gas fitted it and the garage door will strike it if opened then in my humble opinion it is At Risk, sadly the bodies that are paid to help you , Gas Safe wont go out of their way to take on Southern Gas, I would call them anyway and say you think that southern gas have left a potentially dangerous situation at your property and see what they do about it, please let us know what if anything they do

ye i agree but would the gas company really fit a meter ( company) " AT RISK " , but I've never seen them do anything so wrong , i just think theres more to the story thats not being said because fitting a meter in such an obvious AT RISK state surely they wouldn't be that stupid , will they ???

Yep phone gas safe they will come out for free and tell southern that you have called them you might be surprised how quickly they change their tune . alternate phone it in as a leak and 99% of the guys will see its fitted wrong and alter it free of charge

Sponsored Links
112 are there surveys detailed enough to have seen what has really happened ? or would they just do it to cause less hassle ?

Emergency guy would just look at it see straight away someone has feked up and alter position .
if service needed moving he would report back to his manager (not office) that it needs moving and if its same as grid phone the outside team manager tell him and the just raise a revisit on his computer and would be done in couple of weeks max

ah right so no investigation as such so really the original installer would have nothin to answer to ( regarding at risk situation ), so that makes sense now

Sometimes you have to love these huge organisations and can use their inadequecies to your advantage - one arm doesn't even know the other exists!

In her last company, my missus had to email her manager with ANY business related questions or comments (however insignificant)... And she sat next to him!!!

ye i agree but would the gas company really fit a meter ( company) " AT RISK " , but I've never seen them do anything so wrong , i just think theres more to the story thats not being said because fitting a meter in such an obvious AT RISK state surely they wouldn't be that stupid , will they ???
20150626_091017 (Medium).jpg

20150626_091421 (Medium).jpg

Nah utility companies are perfect ;).

Even their own guys couldn't believe the retardedness of this doozy. :LOL:

i quickly seen that before but didn't realise it was the utility guys that did it , dam i think ill take back that comment ( pretty dam quick) . SHOCKING:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
you would think if they only have to worry about one gas producing product, they should know the regulations that comes with that.
luckily all utility guys I've dealt with were knowledgable guys and had no problems , but as you can see you can get the odd exception:ROFLMAO:

It would seem that the EC could be turned off and an RGI could move the meter back about 2 m so that the door no longer hits it.

Its not something that all RGIs would be prepared to do, but it would probably solve the problem and no one would ever blink an eyelid afterwards!

It started off like this:

20150603_165230.jpg

Had been that way for years.

I refused to connect the boiler to it (had to put a new supply up the back wall of the house to the eaves).

All they had to do was change the angle of the spigot bend at the foot of the pipe to bring the riser to the wall and refit a new box (which they eventually found at the yard but couldn't be a7sed to use).

Thanks everyone, I will give Gas Safe a call; it's worth a try.

AGAS, your are a suspicious soul aren't you? I don't understand what you find so fishy about the problem. I think it was an honest mistake; it's low enough down on the wall so that without opening the door, I doubt anyone would have guess there would be a clash. Had I cleared the stuff away from the door earlier the chances are they would have done something. I just wish I had.

Going back to the original question, is a Gas Safe registered plumber allowed to move a meter, and if so, which if any of the following are they allowed to do?

Move the gas meter within the reach of the existing flexible pipe
Replace the flexible with a longer one and move the meter
Put in some extra pipework between the isolation valve and the flexible pipe (thus extending the reach of the flexible pipe) and move the meter​

If any of those are allowed I'll get a few quotes, otherwise I'll persist with Gas Safe/Southern Gas and start saving up..

Finally, it's a long shot but this meter looks significantly thinner than the current one: https://www.edmi-meters.com/ProdDetail.aspx?L0=1&PID=46
Does anyone know if any of the gas providers use them?

Thanks

A year or two ago Southern Gas dug up the road
Which county are you in? I have a feeling it would have been SGN (Scotia), which owns some pipes, not Southern Gas, which is a retailer.

SGN is (or was when I worked for the group) a joint enterprise owned 50% by SSE and 50% by the Nova Scotia Teachers Pension fund, or something like that.

just call me a pessimist and you are right, I have a suspicious mind and give you that and not afraid of admitting it , some customers has made that worse I'm afraid . but if a gas meter is installed next to a door of any kind you would of at least try that door if it obstructs in any way, it just makes sense .

the smart meter is 4 inches from the centre of pipe inlet on meter to front of meter , so measure your existing meter and you have your answer .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back