Gas pressure problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've recently noticed that when our boiler (Potterton Profile) starts up, the gas pressure to the cooker and hob drops significantly. I'm sure it didn't used to do that. Could it be that the pressure of the supply coming into the house is low or might there be a fault in our system somewhere...and if so, what's it likely to be?

Being very short of cash I'm reluctant to get a gasman in if it's not going to be something he can fix, but if it's a fault I guess I'll have to.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
tansco will come out and check pressure from road free of charge, but after that you would need a gas man

HI

most likely cause =gas pipe undersized or gas meter too far or both.
gas pipe should be minimum 22mm coming out from the gas meter (generally)

Go and have a look at the regulator on top of your gas meter if its got "Donkin 225/5" on it it will be the regulator that has failed.When i worked for Transco, i must have changed hundreds of them,well known fault.

Sponsored Links
Go and have a look at the regulator on top of your gas meter if its got "Donkin 225/5" on it it will be the regulator that has failed.When i worked for Transco, i must have changed hundreds of them,well known fault.

Sounds like you might be onto something Garfeild - it's a Donkin and looking at the model number with a torch and mirror it looks like 225/2 - are they as bad as 225/5's?

Phone transco 0800 111999
Tell them you think you have low gas pressure.
They will be with you within 2 hours.
Free of charge, even if you are wrong, which is very unlikely.

Could be 225/2 it was a while ago now,get them out to sort it,no cost to you.

All fixed now! Transco came within an hour of phoning them - they treat it as an emergency apparently - and it was the regulator!

Thanks all for your help!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back