Gas Supply Problem?

GBW

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My wife complained today that she is having trouble lighting the gas hob. The spark doesnt seem to want to ignite the gas and when it odes there seems to be "a lot" of gas. I also noticed today, but didnt think much about it at the time, that the c/heating boiler is roaring more than normal. I had a look at the flame after my wife made her comment and indeed it does look higher as far as I can recall.
I have turned everything off at the moment and wondering what to do. It seems to me that the pressure is higher than normal. Does the gas meter have a pressure reducer built in and can this have failed? This is domestic natural gas supply. Obviously it needs checking out but if it is a meter problem, who do I talk to. Comments much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
contact number 0800 111 999

phone them immediately, explain your situation, listen to their advice

Ring 0800 111 999
Gas emergency service, could be a fault with the meter regulator...
Ring and they'll be out within an hour or 2 - free as well

Sponsored Links
TWO replies within TWO minutes !

Thats very impressive and possibly faster than that service answers their telephones at busy times!

Please let us know what the problem is because an excessive gas supply pressure is unusual and potentially dangerous.

Tony

Spindle will have collapsed inside the govenor if excessive pressure..

you may however tomorrow need the telephone number of a local Rgeistered gas installer to remove the free meter disc that the gas emergency service will have left you to ensure that you get gas back on at your appliances.

Normally,but not always. :LOL:

Wow... that was quick. I have taken everyone's advice and rang the emergency number. Very helpful and someone is coming out. Just hope it isn't my imagination but I do quite like my eyebrows.

Best to be safe than sorry.... as Tony said high pressure can be dangerous as can low pressure obviously.....
Any neighbours reported a problem?

No neighbouring problem - went round and checked.

All done! Transco engineer came in, looked at prv and said "Ah.. one of those! Had a lot of trouble with them (one sugar's fine) and we change them on sight (yeah, not too strong)"
So he did.. changed it and all back up and running. And now I can see just how the hob was playing up before.

Thank you everyone for your advice. Job done!
What a service on everyone's part!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back