GAS SUPPLY TO ANNEXE?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a question for you pro’s. Can you separately sub-meter a gas supply after the main meter. The supply would be branching off to serve a dedicated boiler/hob in an annexe extension built onto the side of an existing house.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
You have not explained why!

You can physically submeter part of your property.

There are monetary limits on how much you can charge another person for the supply of gas.

The gas supplier will not be happy if you are supplying another seperate dwelling for no good reason as they would lose income from standing charges.

All gas work has to be done by a registered engineer.

Tony

Many thanks for your replies, the extension on the side of the property will form part of the same house i.e. it will not/and cannot be classed as a separate billing address (National Grid confirmed that). Therefore the main meter will need to be upgraded to a U16 to cater for the additional gas load, and I would like to have a separate private meter to just see what the energy use is in the annexe extension which will have its own dedicated combi boiler.

Sponsored Links
Perfectly acceptable secondary meter etc can be bought from www.bes.co.uk
But you will have to go through your supplier to get the main U6 changed to a U16.

And there is no standing charges anymore its all built into price of gas

Perfectly acceptable secondary meter etc can be bought from www.bes.co.uk
But you will have to go through your supplier to get the main U6 changed to a U16.

And there is no standing charges anymore its all built into price of gas
Sorry, I missread the comment. When you go through the existing supplier will they charge for this? Has anyone every come across this ‘upgrade’ scenario?

They will probably charge you for this as you are upgrading from standard. U16 cost around £200 but then there will be mark up and labour

They will probably charge you for this as you are upgrading from standard. U16 cost around £200 but then there will be mark up and labour

Thanks, the existing supply pipe is 1” diameter, is this normally adequate to supply a U16 meter.

Thanks, the existing supply pipe is 1” diameter, is this normally adequate to supply a U16 meter.

That's a new thing all together the 22mm supply may not be adequate. I would suggest having your pipe runs recalculated. You may find you need some 28mm from the meter then dropping to 22mm, but you would have to get a gas engineer to check. ;)

Has your gas engineer calculated the total gas load on the supply?

The meter may or may not need changing.

You have still not explained what you are doing and I suspect you are intending to let it and charge the tenant!

But if it was my property I would not be using two combi boilers and would avoid upgrading the gas meter.

Tony

problem with using 2 gas metres is if theres ever a leak on the system and your letting the other property. the whole system from the primary metre will be shut off till the leak is found.

Has your gas engineer calculated the total gas load on the supply?

The meter may or may not need changing.

You have still not explained what you are doing and I suspect you are intending to let it and charge the tenant!

But if it was my property I would not be using two combi boilers and would avoid upgrading the gas meter.

Tony

The new extension will be for a member of the family.

The total gas load is approx. 75kW (2no. 30kW boilers, fires, hobs etc.)

If it were a granny flat for one person the cost of installing and running it would be far cheaper to heat from the house boiler and have an electrically heater hot water cylinder.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back