Gas virgin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are there any gas boffins out there?
I have just moved in to a house with gas central heating.
I have allways been all electric so I need to know a few things about the new system.
1. What do I need to do to maintain the system in a healthy state.
2. Why is my system operating strangely. When the temperature conrol cuts out the bathroom radiator sometimes seems to stay on
3. Is it easy to replace the radiators. I want to do each one as I decorate through.
4. What do I have to do to the system to add Thermostatic Regulating Valves to each radiator.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Timlouth said:
Are there any gas boffins out there?
There are, but you need to know anything about gas to design, install, maintain and repair a wet central heating system.

1. What do I need to do to maintain the system in a healthy state.
Check the condition of the F&E cistern (aka header tank), if it has one, and deal with a dirty system if you have one. Mend any leaks and drips promptly. Attend to any corroded radiators before they give way and flood. Have the boiler routinely cleaned and serviced. Keep thermostats at a reasonable level. Have faults attended to as soon as they arise. Ensure that a chemical corrosion inhibitor has been added.

2. Why is my system operating strangely. When the temperature conrol cuts out the bathroom radiator sometimes seems to stay on
This is almost certainly not a problem. Bathroom rads are commonly plumbed into the primary hot water circuit, so that they're on all year round.

3. Is it easy to replace the radiators. I want to do each one as I decorate through.
It's easier to replace them all in one go, so that you're not repeatedly draining and refilling, although there are ways to avoid that.

4. What do I have to do to the system to add Thermostatic Regulating Valves to each radiator.
Buy TRVs; drain the system; remove old valves; modify pipework if needed; install new TRV; fill, vent and test.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back