GEM Combi boiler (imported by Combi boiler co)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Hope you can help.

I'm looking for parts for a GEM combi boiler (as imported by the Combu boiler Co.). I understand the Combi Boiler Co. went out of business some time back, the boiler is obsolete.

My local heating engineer assures me it is the 3 way valve which needs replacing on my boiler.

Any pointers as to where I might pick one of these up is appreciated.

Paul.

Sponsored Links
photo of the old one will help.

Did your local engineer say he couldn't get one to fit? Or was there some other reason why you didn't ask him to repair it?

I'll get a photo when I get back home tonight.

The local guy had fixed it before, he'd been keeping all the parts he found for these things, he had a replacement extractor fan in his garage, but he said he wouldn't be able to get hold of a 3 way valve for it.

I think I've got one, as well as a box of other second hand Gem spares. Send me an email if you're interested.

Sponsored Links
Er... I think he meant take a photo of the diverter valve INSIDE the boiler!

As far as I remember its a standard Honeywell diverter valve similar to that used in many boilers including the earlier Ecomax.

However there are several types of head with different voltages and switches so the type number will be required from the head.

I dont think this will have failed!

In any case I do not encourage owners to source parts when any competent boiler engineer would be able to do that IF he really wanted to.

If the diverter really had failed then he would be able to lock it to give either heating OR hot water. Has he really done this?

I have my doubts about his diagnosis.

Tony

The boiler is heating the radiators OK, but it's not heating the water. If the radiators are on, then you get hot water for a very short period of time before it goes cool again.

My local guy assured me over the phone it would be the 3 way valve, but from the last post it looks like it may not be the case at all.

Any help appreciated.

He may not be familiar with this boiler and thinks its like most other boilers and the diverter has failed.

Taking the head off the diverter valve may put it into DHW mode.

However I expect its more likely to be the diaphragm in the DHW flow switch that has failed.

Put the heating off and turn on a hot tap and tell us if it makes any noise at all ??

If not then its likely to be a DHW flow switch problem.

Tony

Thanks for all the responses.

I got British Gas around in the end, a British Gas engineer my wife knows advised us that the price of the parts for these boilers can be expensive, and I would probably be better off paying British Gas' flat fee for parts and labour.

The problem was exactly as Tony had diagnosed above, the flow switch is bust. The engineer said that they could still get the parts, and he'd fixed exactly the same problem on the same boiler a couple of weeks before.

He's coming back this morning to fit a new switch.

Thanks again for all the responses on this. hopefully anyone else with problems with this type of boiler who's searching the web will find this thread!

I could have posted you a replacement diaphragm for £4 !!!

I am very surprised that BG agreed to come and deal with that boiler as its over 10 years old and there is no official spares support. But full marks to them in your case, perhaps there was personal contact involved?

That just confirms your original boiler fixer was not on the ball and could not even remember how your boiler operates even though he has come out to it previously.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back