Generator advice

BTW - I don't suppose anybody has a copy of BS 7909:1998 they'd like to photocopy & send to me?

Sorry no, but if anyones interested I have a form in word format I use to log test results. It saves messing up the proper forms.

Sponsored Links
Qedelec said:
I worked out that to fullfill the regs it would need its own earth spike.
Are you supposed to switch the earth in the changeover switch, or have a rod permanently in parallel with the supply earth?

The earth rod should idealy be switched as well but I would check with the REC.
What would be the implications if the spike was permanently connected. Better on a TT.
On a PME the spike would be the return path if Neutral failed.

TT: - No difference - same rod at all times, and nothing to do with the DNO

TN-C-S: - No difference? - just one more PE to add to the M already present?

TN-S: - Dunno. It's what I've got, of course.... :rolleyes:

The earth rod should idealy be switched as well
Which means a switch in the main earthing conductor, which I thought was a no-no?

but I would check with the REC.
They are busy and important people - I wouldn't want to trouble them....

Sponsored Links
TN-S Hmmmmmm!
Whats the worse that can happen?
You lose your earth to the supplier -- you have an alternate earth via the spike.
You lose the neutral -- return path is via the sheath and the ground.

I'd go with permanently connected spike.

Another avenue worth looking at is to use the generator for a supply by electrical separation.

I had been thinking that diesel would be better, but I've got no handy source of the red stuff, or of CH oil. If I was looking at a breakdown-of-civilisation scenario, the fuel versatility would be appealing, but they are more expensive, more noisy, and harder to start in cold weather, so I'm leaning towards petrol....

ban-all-sheds said:
a rod in the ground isn't really any different from a pipe in the ground and you connect those to the suppliers earth all the time. So i really can't see any problem with having a rod permanently connected provided adequate cable is used.

We fit commercial gensets, and a rod connected to the MET is essential. No point switching it. No point isolating the REC source earth when gen running either.

We usually use a tape, rather than a rod. A hard-drawn bare copper cable (70mm usually) is used.

We always fit diesel, but thats all you see in large sets. They all have a heater in the water coolent pipe work (makes odd sense!), which keeps the engine warm, and ready to fire.

Also, generally, we have them connected to a timer to start up for 30mins every week (on large sets). These sets are also connected to auto-changeover switches, and the generators locked away, with many warning notices......."This machinery is liable to start without warning!"

one thing i've often wondered is if gensets are ever configured to start and take over some of the load when power demand exceeds a certain level.

i'd think such a setup could for example be used if a site was having problems with overloading thier service occasionally but either couldn't justify the cost of an upgrade or couldn't get it soon enough.

plugwash said:
ban-all-sheds said:
a rod in the ground isn't really any different from a pipe in the ground and you connect those to the suppliers earth all the time. So i really can't see any problem with having a rod permanently connected provided adequate cable is used.
Wood.... trees.....
Trees.... wood....

I'll get my coat..... :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

plugwash said:
one thing i've often wondered is if gensets are ever configured to start and take over some of the load when power demand exceeds a certain level.

i'd think such a setup could for example be used if a site was having problems with overloading thier service occasionally but either couldn't justify the cost of an upgrade or couldn't get it soon enough.

One site we did ran the generator from 3pm to 3am, when all the refridgerated lorries where parked up, and plugged in (32amp 3ph each). The mains supply was just overloaded, and the timescale for replacement was months!!

Lectrician said:
One site we did ran the generator from 3pm to 3am, when all the refridgerated lorries where parked up, and plugged in (32amp 3ph each). The mains supply was just overloaded, and the timescale for replacement was months!!

some size genny!

Instead of one big c/o switch, how about feeding the ccts. you want backed up with spurs, and using a panel of small c/o switches, after the CU?
You would need to switch both live & neutral, and could feed the Genny in via it's own small CU with RCCD & MCB's. Genny frame "earth" would = existing supply earth?
My Genny is "floating neutral", and IMHO, thats what you want.
I've bonded "neutral" to earth at the supply side of the RCCD; house is TT.
I'me not sure if FN is normal for portables sold here, or whether non FN's are allowed under CE regs?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back