Gift Cards - WARNING!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please search your drawers (ooh err!) for gift cards given for Christmas and birthday presents and check their expiry.

YES! They have an expiry date...

I have just tried to redeem some WHS gift cards to the value of £60.00 and they have expired, so that's a ****ing good profit for the company.

You have been warned!

Sponsored Links
Hi securespark I had some high street vouchers expire but I wrote to whoever it was explaining they were at an old house that I couldn't get access to and they gave me some new ones.
Might be worth thinking of something and trying it. I can't see them saying no.

I never told airmiles (avios) that I changed email and house address. One day I remembered I had an airmiles account with enough airmiles to fly to the USA and back. I logged in and they had expired 6 months ago. I wrote them a letter saying how I messed up and they reinstated them for me. Thank god the missus would have killed me.

I had a similar experience a number of years ago.
Wrote to John Lewis and told them I had moved house and they had been placed in a box with some books. They issued me new ones to the same value.

You have nothing to lose by asking for them to be re-activated, especially if you have the reference/barcode numbers. With these they can confirm that they were never cashed in.

Cheers guys, I have binned them, but I can fish them out......:sick:

Sponsored Links
I had some Debenhams and M&S giftcards which I thought I'd give away at Xmas, I phoned to check, they had expired. Perhaps if I had written a letter I might have got them reinstated.

I found out that if you check the balance online every few months, it restarts the "expiry date" clock.

btw they are clearing their jumpers at the moment, I got some Merino ones greatly reduced, online with free delivery. It helps if you are an unpopular size.

Last edited:
You should always use any Gift Vouchers as soon as practical, what if a company folded up.

BTW, I have lots of old copper 1p pieces, they are now worth a lot more.
Also discovered the British 5p coin used to work very well in German dispensing and gaming machines as equal to 1dm, used talke lots of 5p coins when visiting germany years ago, before they opted for Euro.

Last edited:
it should be illegal to put restrictions on gift vouchers or cards
you pay by currency that has a fully unrestricted value and never goes out off date
it cannot be a fair trading contract that not only restricts where you spend it reducing your ability "shop around " but also say tough poo you are out off time

You should always use any Gift Vouchers as soon as practical, what if a company folded up.

Also discovered the British 5p coin used to work very well in German dispensing and gaming machines as equal to 1dm, used talke lots of 5p coins when visiting germany years ago, before they opted for Euro.
up to your moral compass
you are stealing from who ever you use those coins are used for as they will be out off pocket ??

Last edited:

Also discovered the British 5p coin used to work very well in German dispensing and gaming machines as equal to 1dm, used take lots of 5p coins when visiting germany years ago, before they opted for Euro.
up to your moral compass
you are stealing from who ever you use those coins are used for as they will be out off pocket ??

Ha Ha ! stealing from gambling machines, morality does not even come anywhere near close enough in the first place, people should not profit out of others gambling addiction! If the machines were not there to rip you off, I wouldn't have played on them. Now a days our High streets are ridden with betting shops, I wouldn't feel any sorrier for them if they were raided by masked men carrying a fake gun or a banana wrapped in a plastic bag! Though I will draw my distinction if they were violent or carried live guns. Now that you have started it, The Germans might want to extradite me to face charges for inserting about 10 pieces of 5p in a pub in Cologne, I could be sent to a gas chamber! because I did this years ago in the 70s, but no big deal, I am ready to face charges for crimes i committed in the past.

Last edited:
I firmly believe in God, and I thank him for giving me certain abilities,

The only thing I despise in life is people who take advantage of others.

You surprise me Mike.

Bolo, You should be working for media company, reporting things people have said, still I am glad I am never going to run for a Prime Minister, or else people like you would sieve through past history and come up with things one may or may not have said.

Last edited:
"Be sure your sins will find you out"

Sorry, I couldn't resist it. :whistle:

JOINT THE VENDETTA BANDWAGON! TYPICAL OF YOU DIYNOTS!

and you have **** all else to do.

it should be illegal to put restrictions on gift vouchers or cards
you pay by currency that has a fully unrestricted value and never goes out off date
it cannot be a fair trading contract that not only restricts where you spend it reducing your ability "shop around " but also say tough poo you are out off time
I think the problem is that they are regarded as a liability so far as the company is concerned, and they don't want it going on forever.

Sponsored Links
Back