Glass block wall - normal cement ok?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a feature set of x6 195mm glass blocks set in a vertical line within a stud wall. I have ran out of the glass block mortar after doing the first 3. It was left over from a previous project and I know the mortar isn't cheap. More to the point, I only need to set 3 more. My question is, is normal cement ok to use? I know the other stuff grips to glass but if I can manage with cement surely it'll be fine when set?

Sponsored Links
Glass blocks were laid with cement mortar years ago, but the colour will be different.

Oh that's ok, I have the proper grout - this will be ok with normal sand and cement won't it? I mean, it won't react or anything?

Sponsored Links
dont shoot me but I dont think the standard cement mix will work.

glass blocks are not porous and hence the need for a high strength adhesive. Dont get me wrong, if you use stanard cement and grout it should feel quite firm but one good know and its all over. only time will tell. and wont you see the differance in colour 'through' the block

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back