Glow plugs removal.

N

nauseous

I'm tempted to have a go and replace the glow plugs on my old Citroen Berlingo van. Any tips? I know you're advised to have the engine warmed up and use a torque wrench so as not to risk snapping them off, and on ofc . I haven't one now so was asking roughly how much force to apply and when to stop and maybe leave it to the pro's. I'm hoping I can get lucky and if I'm careful remove at least 3 of them. Idk maybe it will go teats up as usual when I have good intentions.
I have an electric hot air gun and will put some penetrating oil on around the gp's but does anyone have anymore ideas please?

I plan on selling it on soon so would rather not have to pay for a cylinder head repair bill.

Sponsored Links
Do they need replacing? If they are okay and you are getting rid of it anyway, just test them and replace any faulty ones. As a rough guide, remove the wire from them, then, using a simple circuit tester, connect one end to the battery positive and then touch the probe on the glow plug thread. If it lights up, it’s okay. If it doesn’t, then worry about getting just that plug out.

If your van has the 1.9 non turbo engine (DW8) then access isn't too bad - somewhat trickier if its the 1.6 turbo (DV6).
Either way, if you need to shift the plugs, only use a full hexagon deep drive socket (usually 11 or 12mm depending on the plug make) and keep it dead square on the plug so there's no sideways force. Maybe a 12" Tee bar could help to spread the turning load but no-one really knows how tight they will be. I personally haven't had any major issues but failure is a lot less common then it used to be - direct injection and all that.
Good luck if you need to crack on, but do test as per MOT's suggestion first.....at the same time you'll determine the plug timing interval which is around 5 sec on the DW8.
John :)

If you have the 1.6 hdi , then you won't need to change them even if they have gone as they are only used if the outside temp is silly cold (mine haven't worked for years and I have no problems)

And when you see where they are located you REALLY won't want to change them!

Sponsored Links
Some garages are using a curious but successful technique to shake injectors and glow plugs loose.
Basically they use an impact gun set to the minimum torque setting, and let it work on the injector/ plug for an hour or so.....really!
The continuous vibration has the desired effect of loosening the stubborn component - and I have seen it work.

Looking at a 12 plate Berlingo DV6 yesterday, the glow lamp didn’t come on at any time but on a 08 plate Mini it flashed on for a second or two.....the same engine so I dont know what that’s all about.
Lifted the lid on a 13 plate mini though and didn’t recognise the engine at all.....I guess the PSA lump has run its course.

Do they need replacing? If they are okay and you are getting rid of it anyway, just test them and replace any faulty ones. As a rough guide, remove the wire from them, then, using a simple circuit tester, connect one end to the battery positive and then touch the probe on the glow plug thread. If it lights up, it’s okay. If it doesn’t, then worry about getting just that plug out.
I've read somewhere that that method of testing doesn't take into account the efficiency of the gp so could be a false positive, would rather replace them all if I can. They're the same gp's that was in it 10 years ago when i bought van, might even be the 15 yr old original's, idk.
If your van has the 1.9 non turbo engine (DW8) then access isn't too bad - somewhat trickier if its the 1.6 turbo (DV6).
Yes it's a mk2 1.9 non turbo.
Some garages are using a curious but successful technique to shake injectors and glow plugs loose.
Basically they use an impact gun set to the minimum torque setting, and let it work on the injector/ plug for an hour or so.....really!
The continuous vibration has the desired effect of loosening the stubborn component - and I have seen it work.
I like that idea. Don't have an impact wrench but have various hammer drills that I could maybe improvise with by using the clutch on the drill! What could possibly go wrong? :mrgreen:

Thanks guys, I hope to have time tomorrow to have a go.

Omg that exhaust manifold took some wrenching to get off. The plugs all unscrewed out nicely but still had to grapple like crazy to pull them out, wow, who knew they put on weight, the chubby little sods. Anyway so relieved I didn't snap any off.
It's all going to well which is very unusual for me :)

No I didn't have a multimeter, they are bosch and I trusted them to work, which they all do thankfully.
I might test the used ones just out of curiosity when I have time and have nothing better to do. They looked hammered, I'm surprised any worked but at least 2 or 3 must have, but not efficiently for the winter cold.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does the van start well now?
Ive seen glowplugs melted at the ends and still working, and visually perfect ones totally knackered.
Look for a couple of ohms across the plug when you test with a multimeter.

I'll have to buy one next time I see one in lidl. Yes she leaps into life like a goodun.

Job well done then! Well worth the effort.
So pleased the plugs came out.....imagine the problem a snapped off one would give :eek:

Yes they are the thin ones, only about 10mm I think. It seems a bit odd why they make them so thin considering where they're being fitted. Still have a couple of new go's that I had bought for a pug 1.9 dt 306, they've got to be at least 2mm thicker. I think a a snapped one would have been the end of her tbh.

You can test glow plugs using jumper leads connected to your battery , if the tip glows red it's good and if it glows in the middle or doesn't glow at all it be knackered

Sponsored Links
Back