glow worm 52b super gas valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
New to the forum but I`m hoping someone can help.

A friend of mine is a corgi gas fitter so I`m not doing the job myself but the pilot light won`t stay on. It has a new thermocouple so I don`t think its that.

He thinks it may need a new gas valve but it looks like they are obsolete. Can anyone help ?

I have photos of the valve if needed

Thanks

John

Sponsored Links
Hi Corgiman

I`m not sure that I understand the question. The part number I need according to Glow worm is SK9049

Thanks

John

Hi John

It's Les.
£100 + for an old valve plus fitting and it might still be faulty etc.

B&Q do a Vizo boiler for £400 inc vat If your mate would fit it for the same cost of fitting the gas valve that might be the best long term option.

Les

Sponsored Links
Has your "friend" measured the voltage at the gas valve coming from the thermocouple both on load and off load?

Merely "thinking" without the evidence of test measurement is not very professional.

Its relatively unusual for a gas valve to fail to accept the thermocouple voltage to hold it on. Very common for the problem to be the thermocouple or pilot flame issues.

Tony

Hi Agile

No he didn`t measure the voltage he just checked that it was it was installed correctly ie tight enough. I will speak to him again tonight to see what he thinks.

John

If I do a repair and I buy a gas valve that turned out not to be the fault then I would be stuck with an expensive part. So I have to be sure i have correctly identified the problem by the relevant tests.

Your guy is not apparently taking that risk if its you who do the buying.

All I can say is that you are taking a risk when no proper tests have been made.

There is even a thermocouple tester available although I just use my test meter.

Another way to test the gas valve is to see if a loose T/C heated up with a gas torch will hold the magnetovalve in.

Tony

Hi Agile

I guess its me thats taking the risk but I`m relying on advice from him. I could ask him to check it for me I suppose. I`m not qualified to go anywhere near the thing and I have no intention of doing so.

John

the gas valves are obsolete, but ya mite catch the odd1 on ebay as some ppl no that you'll struggle to get hold of um! i have a spare1 as ah lass as got the same boiler! :LOL:

The brown one will be ok . it is purely a different colour.. The blue one in the picture looks different from normal itt mclaren valves and may have a different pilot position.

Agile please tell us what the actual voltage from t/couple should on this valve

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back