glow worm 52b super gas valve

Blimey I dont think you can get them anymore

been a while since I have seen one, gasman gaz is spot on, time to bin the boiler unless you can shoe horn a 24vDC honeywell valve in there

Sponsored Links
Agile please tell us what the actual voltage from t/couple should on this valve

I dont know but the typical boiler T/C gives about 20 mV off load and when connected to the gas valve magnetovalve the on load voltage reduces to about 12-13 mV.

Howeve, that seems pretty irrelevant as this CORGI is apparently only able to make guesses without taking any measurements!

Tony

So Agile you are only guessing to .

Johnl44 ignore AGILE he i trying to look like a smart ar#e as usual and can`t back it up with proper figures only a very few people have a thermocouple tester and majority do it by experience.
Your mate has stripped boiler to fit you a new thermocouple so i would presume he checked pilot size as this is easier than fitting a new gas valve.

When you tell your mate agiles reply he will prob jut laugh at him like the ret of us do.

Sponsored Links
Anyone who does not measure the voltages or use a thermocouple tester is just guessing at whats happening.

That may not be very important if it just results in changing the odd thermocouple as they are cheap and its not a bad idea changing them routinely on a service every three years.

However, when the issue involves replacing an expensive gas valve then I consider proper diagnostic tests are essential to avoid any unnecessary expense.

We never change expensive parts unless they are faulty!

Tony

Sorry namsag but tony is right

you should check the TC before condeming the GV

I have had brand new Honeywell TC's that only banged out about 15mV before now.

Since then I have check em religous if they dont hold the pilot.

:)

Didn`t say you shouldn`t check it . Vast majority of people out there would not know what voltage to check for and in reality a very small minority would have the proper kit to check it, What do you use.

Duff brand new t/couples are few and far between .Had maybe 5 in 30 years
And for Agile to do his usual and condemn the guy when he is doing what 95% of the guys out there are doing is wrong.

Didn`t say you shouldn`t check it . Vast majority of people out there would not know what voltage to check for and in reality a very small minority would have the proper kit to check it, What do you use.

Duff brand new t/couples are few and far between .Had maybe 5 in 30 years
And for Agile to do his usual and condemn the guy when he is doing what 95% of the guys out there are doing is wrong.

well our agile has a self important turn of phrase but he knows he stuff

I use me multi meter I do I dont have a TC tester never saw the point, mind you I did once, years ago mind, rip out and old pilot solenoid from a gasvalve which I used for checking em till i lost it which was later the same day

:)

Wether Agile knows his stuff or just plagiarizes is open to debate .

Using a multimeter will not give you a true reading due to the awkwardness of holding the probes far better to use proper t/couple adaptor but in 99% percent of cases past experience will give you the answer

Unscrew the t/c solenoid assembly out the back of an old Saunier Duvall gas valve (620's etc). Makes a perfect tester since you can feel the pull on the solenoid. The t/c threads won't often match but its easy to hold the capillary in the end of the solenoid whilst heating the tip.

If you do a search you used to be able buy the power pack for honeywell gas valves (tradeline).. to use for testing

FFS what a load of Bull excrement about SFA!!

Agree totally with Namsag!!

Post is not even worthy of debate!! IMOHO

Well had my man around last night who spent a couple of hours testing stuff and cleaning etc. He tried to adjust the pilot flame as it wasn`t making contact with the thermocouple, just very close. He couldn`t make it contact with the flame. He adjusted a small screw on the gas valve to do this.

He can get a replacement valve but he is not sure it will work. The model number on my valve is UK48RBB05. The one he has says replacement valve for UK48RBB05 model number UB57R1BB224 Anyone know if it will fit, also its made by white rogers

thanks

John

Did he try previous advice and heat t/c with a blow torch??

It sounds like he is out of his depth

Try cleaning the pilot injector!!

Hi Terry

He removed the injector and cleaned the the supply pipe to it as well. He held a small flame gun on the thermocouple and it kept the valve open any more ideas ?

Thanks

John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back