Glow worm cxi24 being an absolute pain in the...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Someone please help!!

I'm having a rather troublesome time with my Glow worm cxi24, it's about 5 years old.

Around mid October the unit started switching itself off and on, but when on the water temp didn't cycle, it done this for a couple days and by the time I got an engineer in it had fixed itself, got it serviced anyway and it was fine till now.

Then yesterday I noticed a frequent clicking sound coming from the unit (every 15 seconds or so apart) I then noticed that the rads were not as hot as they normally are. On trying the hot water I found that it started cycling hot cold hot cold hot cold etc etc, and this was consistent with the hot the same clicking sound (perhaps a relay or solenoid) but now more frequent (about 4 seconds or so).

Being nearly 7pm and things didn't seem to urgent I didn't try call out an engineer so just continued to monitor things.

About 8pm the darn thing had switched itself off (little display panel was blank no LED on, just like it had been switched off at the mains). A short while later (perhaps 10mins) the unit tried to restart itself, display came back and fan (I think) started but as soon as it tried to fire up the main burner the unit switched itself off again. Eventually after a few attempts (about 40min later) it started up, water temp cycling happened again and Rads didn't get as hot as they usually would. A while later and perhaps through the night it continued randomly (to me) going off and on. A few times I switched it off at the mains for 10-15min (just to give it time to think carefully what it was up to), this seemed to help a little as it would start up on it's second attempt or so afterwards.

Anyway, sorry to go on!

This morning the water temp problem was still present and rads not particularly hot, I got an engineer in around lunch time and would you behold it all worked as it should! he carried out some checks anyway (for loose wires that sort of thing) and couldn't find a thing, 5mins after he left the unit switched itself off again (heating was still still off and water hadn't been used), by the time he got back it had started itself again and was yet again behaving normally. Little he could do but he went through wiring etc a bit further. Clicking noise is apparently the "diverter valve motor".

All seemed to be fine again for about 3 hours then it went off and 5 hours later appears completely dead, now though as I've been told not to touch anything it looks like my family will be in for a cold night.

I don't think this is related but I'll include it for completeness.
About a year ago I had a substantial leak (over Christmas while the house was empty, lovely) which was traced to the the main burner chamber seal, the apparent cause was a blocked water (condensate) trap, once thoroughly cleaned (it's looked a right pain to get out!) the leak didn't reoccur.

I'm not convinced tomorrow that my engineer will have any more answers, knowing my luck it will probably start working again 5min before he comes round again, this time I know he's going to want to start (quite) randomly changing expensive components...

Help!!

Sponsored Links
there's a few different components that can cause a blank display, easy way to check is when the display is blank just start unplugging things until it comes back. low water pressure switch is a good place to start.

turns out after loads of fiddling about the problem turned out to be a faulty fused spur, well I hope so anyway as seems to be working for now...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back