Gloworm Spacesaver 38 - re-lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

This evening my gas supply was inadvertently turned off (he thought it was the water stop cock, oh god don't ask) and the boiler, naturally, went out.

I've never, in 12 years, had to re-light the boiler myself.

My question is, I've followed the instructions on switching off completely and am now trying to re-light. I have turned off the electricity supply as instructed.

The instructions read that you have to hold in button A and then press button G and then if the pilot lights continue to hold button A for about 20 seconds. If it doesn't light, or the pilot light goes out, I have to wait 3 minutes before re-trying.

My question is, must I ONLY press button G once or can I press it a few times?

Thanks
Jan

Sponsored Links
Is it a little white switch or a push in button, if button press it rapidly several times.
Does the sight glass on the front have a couple of screws in it

Hi namsag

It's a black button that you push, it's on a sort of "rod" and makes a sort of clunking noise when it's pushed in.

Yes, the view glass has two small screws at the top and bottom.

Push the button several times rapidly , if that fails take the sight glass off and light with a taper , you may have to put a box or coat over the flue terminal to stop the draught through the hole.

REMEMBER remove it

Sponsored Links
Hello again

Well I got the boiler to light on the second attempt . Turned the knob, button G, to "on" and then turned the electricity supply back on. I then turned the knob G, the one you turn to set the water temperature, and made sure that the timer was "on" and the room stat was set high enough and the main burner didn't do anything. Usually if I override the system or turn the room stat up I hear the boiler "click" as the main burner ignites but nothing.

The pilot light is still on.

Any ideas?

Jan

Turn knob back to pilot then back to on, making sure everything is calling for heat.
Failing that could be the gas valve has gone kaput if it has you cannot get these anymore :cry: :cry:

Make sure you have not disturbed any wires to it , whilst trying to light

I turned the room stat up the max and overrode the time so both water and heating were calling and the main burner lit up!

Hooray!!!! :D

Thank you so much. Now I remember why we never turn it off.

Jan :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back