Gloworm Swiftflow 120 just clicking, no CH or HW

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
2nd topic for a different boiler.

I've had this boiler for 8 years of reliable service, but on friday night it died. My plumbers response when he saw it today was 'not economical to fix, replace'. But that is his usual response & 8 years isn't that long to have the same boiler.

The symptoms are that when CH or HW is demanded, the fan starts, but the boiler then clicks and won't fire up. The running light blinks in unison with the clicking noise.

After a discussion about me not wanting to replace it because it's not old enough, my plumber suggested it might be the air pressure switch or the PCB.

Do any of you have experience of this problem & what do you suggest might be the cause?

BTW there is no problem with the system pressure or the pilot light.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I think the S/f 120 had a fully modulating fan which is quite unique to some earlier combi boilers. From the fault you are describing it could be the fan pcb. The parts for some components on this boiler could be quite expensive.

A typical combi boiler made about 8 years ago would be expected to last 10-12 years.

However, if a major problem occurs towards the end of its expected life then the usual response is to bring forward the replacement.

If say £300 is spent on an eight year old boiler to replace a major component, even after this the boiler is still eight years old !

Having said that the impression I get is that the fault is minor and could be repaired by a competent boiler engineer at little or no component cost.

I also get the impression that Polly thinks that any expenditure is excessive and probably employs a cheap "plumber" instead of a competent boiler engineer. She would probably find our fixed price diagnostic fee of £84 totally untenable ( even though it might be all that was needed to get it going again! )

Tony Glazier

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply. My plumber wants £75 an hour. He's looked at it and says it might be the air pressure switch or it might be the PCB.

Would you be happy paying someone £75 an hour to tell you what it might be?

He wants to try things 1 at a time to see what fixes it. in the meantime I have no hot water or CH and no certainty that it can be fixed.

He comes across as a very competent plumber in every way except his unwillingness to be sure of what the fault is & be sure that he can repair it. Given those things isn't it fair that I am suspicious that he would rather just make a killing by changing the boiler than make an effort and get paid less for repairing it?

So Tony are you saying your company charges a fee of £84 to diagnose a fault and guarantee that the diagnosis will be correct?

Glow-worm do a fixed price of 195 pounds which includes vat call out and parts provided its not the heat/exch or exp. vess. try them

Thanks. That sounds really fair compared with the other options I have.

I'll call them this morning when they open & see if they can help me. Will let you know how I get on.

I phoned them and they confirmed the £195 all inclusive repair, but they told me there was no chance of a booking until after Christmas.

It seems that you have a plumber rather than a boiler engineer and quite an expensive one at that.

It is pretty simple to check an air pressure switch, usually takes about 8 minutes.

We charge more than your plumber because we charge a single fixed diagnostic fee of £84 and we expect to have the problem diagnosed and usually sorted out as well within one hour! Obviously any parts are extra.

Tony Glazier

Do you work in SW11 Tony?

I have found your number on the internet, I'd like to have a word with my plumber to confirm that he's not really sure what to do, then contact you if you cover my area.

I don't want to burn my bridges if you know what I mean.....

Thanks

I've been trying to call you Tony. The number I have, which I've disguised in case you're rather not have it posted is:

020 8**1 9**9

Is that the correct number & would you have time monday afternoon or tuesday morning next week? If not, when?

Thanks.

That is the correct number but due to technical difficulties its not being diverted or answered at the moment. We do answer our mobile number though.

However, I am sorry but we cannot cover the SW11 areas as its to far for us to travel.

Tony

You're in NW10 right? It's not that far from SW11.

I called off my own plumber yesterday afternoon because I didn't want him ordering parts I don't need.

So I'm a bit stuck now even though a Glow-worm plumber I managed to contact last night said I should try knocking the casing around the fan as it sometimes gets stuck in a way that it works, but not well enough. I have that alternative, but it's a long shot & I'm away just now so can't try it yet.

Couldn't you make an exception & come over tuesday morning before the traffic builds up?

It may seem close to you but its the other side of London to us! It usually takes us 5-6 hours to go there and do a repair.

Thats bad enough but we give a full guaranty on our work and reattend free if the client has any queries. Since we do the job properly thats never because of anything we did wrong but older boilers can fail regularly and as far as the client is concerned its just not working again. Thats out of the question at such a distance.

Another issue is spare parts, if we had to order anything then that would mean another visit.

Also, our reasonable fixed price diagnostic fee only applies in our normal coverage areas, we double it if we go south of the river ( which is almost another country! ).

I would recomend you try to find a competent local engineer who is prepared to offer you a no fix-no fee. That weeds out the incompetent!

Tony Glazier

Well I managed to find a local guy available next week who says he doesn't do no fix - no fee because he is always able to fix it. He charges £50 + VAT an hour & says if it's the fan it'll probably cost about £200 in total.

Does that sound right?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back