glowworm ultimate 50 FF . sound repair ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:confused: :?:
Hello,
I have a glow-worm ultimate 50FF boiler that had stopped igniting. I contacted British gas who for a fixed price attended to repair the boiler. The engineer found that the bearings on the fan on top of the unit had dried up causing the fan to seize. He sprayed the bearings with WD40 which got the fan running. As WD40 is such light oil is this a good long lasting fix or would you have expected the bearings or fan unit be replaced? .

Thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links
No, ask for a replacement fan. Unless you paid a reduced rate for a temporary repair then you should expect a permanent fix.
How much did you pay?

No, ask for a replacement fan. Unless you paid a reduced rate for a temporary repair then you should expect a permanent fix.
How much did you pay?

I suppose you change every seized pump you come across then? :rolleyes:

No such thing as a permanent repair.

You pays your money........... ;)

Thats just a quick fix and wont last. Get them back or you've wasted your money

Sponsored Links
Nicknox, a pump most commonly seizes due to the viscosity of the sludge it's trying to push. So simply spinning the rotor will not fix the problem. How long do you guarantee your repairs for?
I'd rather fix something and make some money rather than a quick fix for a tenner and go back a week later.

It's got a 12 month guarantee so see how it works. I prefer to replace them but loads of times I have sprayed a screaming fan with ac 90 and gone back the next day to replace it and it has been silent. I don't think you can demand a replacement fan as you paid for a fault to be remedied which it has.

prisenugget";p="1413071 said:
:confused: :?:

i payed £187 which is a fixed price , it includes labour , parts + vat.
any replaced parts have a 1 year guarantee.
but i,m not sure how long the warenty is on the squirt of WD40 ?
british gas came out quickly and did get the central heating up and running so i,m pleased with that !!

If the fan packs up call BG again and they will return under the original agreement.

It is not just the part that has a guarantee.

I would have changed the fan seeing as you were not on contract but that's me, a lot of the guys are under pressure to fix first time, on the day.

Are you sure it was really WD40?

Firstly that has a flamable propellent and should not be used in boilers. Secondly the base is only a very light silicone compound and not really a long term lubricant. Usually lasts 1-30 days.

There are far better oil based sprays available.

I use engine oil as thats typified for high temperature use but it does involve removing the fan and applying carefully to each bearing. That usually lasts 3-9 months, sometimes longer.

Tony

It would have been AC90 the guy used. Pretty much the same as WD but presumably cheaper as thats what we used to be issued with. Before that we had 'fan lube' (no lewd comments please :p) It was withdrawn because apparently it was dangerous to wildlife! Shame because it was great stuff, specifically for freeing stuck fans. As to the ops point, I would probably have changed the fan, but as its working and the repair is guaranteed for a year I see no problem.

Hi
I had the exact same problem. The WD 40 only lastred a day or so. I got a recon fan unit for about £60. Much cheaper than the new variant. Very easy to fit too.

£187 for a squirt of wd40! :eek: Call them back today and insist the fan is replaced or you will contact trading standards.

And say what.
My boiler was not working BG came out got it working its still working but i think i need a part,
Whether wd40 is correct remains to be seen.

And say what.
My boiler was not working BG came out got it working its still working but i think i need a part,
Whether wd40 is correct remains to be seen.

If you had a flat tyre with an air leak and you called a mechanic out on a fixed price repair would you be happy if he pumped it back up in the knoweledge that the fault would reoccur sooner or later?

Or would you expect a new tyre to be fitted. . . .

It wasn't WD40 it must have been magic pixie dust!! bloody good stuff!

Seriously
I use WD Squirty to get a fan going as a tempory fix untill we can return with a new fan WD40 is not a completed repair and the fault will recur! :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back