Golf - a wonderful game or a waste of a walk?

Your view on golf

• Golf - I love it, it's great

Votes: 10 37.0%
  • Golf - Pah, what a waste

Votes: 17 63.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Favourite memories? Playing a local golf course and being a few inches off an ace.

JJ if that had been me I'd have fainted - first at getting any spin with a 5 iron and second at the distance :D:D
Closest I have been was about 10 inches, ironically on the longest Par 3 I have ever played (at 223Y - how it was a par 3 is anyone's guess).
Djinkon, I'll always remember that one shot. I was playing there as a birthday treat to myself, and I swear as soon as I hit the ball, it felt "Just Right" (fellow golfers will know what I mean). I couldn't believe the back spin on the ball when it landed about 6ft past the pin, but perfectly in line with it and returned towards the hole. Rattled off the pin and stopped 3" away. :eek: :eek:

Sponsored Links
The nearest i've ever been to a hole in one was on the short second at bowring park. It's about 140 yards or so and you can't see the bottom of the pin because of a bunker in front. I hit a nine iron which was all over the flag and there was a loud clunk as it dropped. When we got on the green there was a big chunk out of the side of the hole and my ball was about two feet away. :evil:

Yep, I know that "feels right" moment, with the driver or with the putter it's the same "I've nailed that" feeling.
I think that Par 3's can play with your mind, especially the shorter they are.
You either overcook it or you are so short you could have thrown the ball further :D

Mate of mine hit the far lip of the hole on a 323Y par 4 last year, caused so much damage that the GK had to come and move the pin there and then. We also got some stick from the older guys that were on the green when he hit it :D. In fairness to my mate he had never broken 270y with a drive prior to that.

I played in a charity Invitational at Gullane last Saturday (No.1 course) and on the tee at 1032 (two in front of me) was one Ronald Corbett of Gullane...

On a slightly different note, for those guys that have been playing for a long time (I've been playing about 26 years now) how do you feel technology is affecting the game?

Ahh Ronnie Corbett. He's also a member of the Honourable Company of Edinburgh Golfers (and so does play Muirfield )

On the technology side. We can all see the improvements this has brought to the game. I started off using basic golf clubs. (blades) Then along came cavity backed clubs with a larger sweet spot. Around 5 yrs ago I bought myself a set of Wilson Staff clubs with carbon fibre graphite shafts. The difference in length was measured in tens of yards right from the first hit with them. Golf balls too have improved. When I started the Dunlop 65 was about the best ball made (still ended up with smiles , all over it if mishit. Nowadays we have urethane covered balls which a golf club can't even nick. ;) ;)

Sponsored Links
Nowadays we have urethane covered balls which a golf club can't even nick. ;) ;)

Oh I dunno about that JJ, I use a couple of Taylormade Z-TP wedges with Srixon AD333 balls and the grooves strip the cover off the ball when I really dig in to it :D that sweet contact when you just know that it's time to get the pitch-mark repair tool out.

I now use Mizuno blades having come across the other way from cavities.
Feel is so much better.
I spoke briefly with Mr Corbett after the match and he said that Gullane is is favourite course of all, hence why he bought his house right on the No.1 Course.
I have an invite to play Muirfield this year, courtesy of my Father-in-law (who is a PGA Pro) but think I might struggle to fit it in with the club competition schedule this year - I am determined to end the year with a single figure handicap :LOL:

Seeing as we're name dropping, :LOL: On one of the days when we were at St Andrews, guess who was on the practise putting green. None other than Sean Connery himself, he was obviously going to be playing on the old course, though we were going on one of the other ones. None of us plucked up the courage to go and talk to him though. :rolleyes:

He ish apparently a regular at Shaint Andrews Shooey (see what I done there :D)
Apparently also an awesome golfer.
I feel privileged to live in Fife surrounded by so many wonderful courses, but I also feel blessed to have played on some great courses down south.

Slaley Hall's Hunting course is a total hidden gem.

Yeah there's some great courses round the noth west area too.
When we were up there though there was this yank who was over the moon because he had been drawn to play on the old course. He was obviously loaded but still had to put his name in the hat to get a game.

Yep, the system at TOC is fair to all and sundry as far as guest tees go.

Well any time you guys are back up Fife way you are welcome to a round (or two) at muckhart for a tenner :D

The father-in-law plays on the PGA Seniors tour and I plan to caddy for him a bit more this year after doing a couple of events for him last year, that should get me out and about round some great courses (as we get a sneaky round in the day before the event starts :D)

That's a very kind offer thank you, though I don't see myself getting there soon. :(

Always happy to offer fellow players the opportunity to widen their "played course" portfolio :D

Oh and a wee tip too, Titleist have released a new ball (well latter part of last year) to combat Srixon's AD333, it's called the Tour Distance - I have used these and find them far superior to the AD333 and, the best part... they are cheaper per dozen :D
So if you want a softer ball for control round the greens but still want distance off the tee, they are great :D

I also realise that i just sounded like a marketer for Titleist... So, if anyone from said company would like to supply any free stuff... LOL :mrgreen:

only played once it was great, we found a set of clubs in a dust bin while we were out on our bikes. Each pearson on the back of the bike took a club and off we went to burley golf club, stayed on the bikes to play it was fun until the old bill turned up then we had to clear off a bit quick.

Love the game of golf.

Good craic with me mates.

Going on at least 3 mebbe 4 golf trips this year including one to Valderrama in March, St Helens in March, Marbella in April and (possibly) one to Conwy in their open week at the end of July.

The wife runs marathons for her hobby and we kick off with the London marathon in April.

I have played a lot of quality courses, B.C. (before children) when a friend and me decided to play the Top 100 golf courses compiled by Golf World magazine. Expensive but worth every penny and rarely disappointed.

yep i too am an avid fan,been playing over 20 years and still shockingly crap, :LOL:
i play throughout the year,dont really like teeing off when its persisting down but if im out and it starts then im out and will continue playing.

nearest ive come to an ace,in my society on a friday night.
teed off on a par 3 about 167 yds i used a 7 iron(in a 4 ball)the others all said it looked good,im looking at it AND THINKING PLEASE DONT GO IN,(only had a tenner in my pocket,there was about 20 of us,plus the course was packed).anyway the ball pitched about 2 inches from the hole and stayed in its pitch mark :eek: .

very jealous of a lot of you guys,some of the courses you play sound really nice.

try looking at this forum,hell of a lot of info and news and a forum.
www.golfmagic.com

Ed and Nancy met while on a singles cruise and Ed fell head over heels for her

When they discovered they lived in the same city only a few miles apart Ed was ecstatic.

He immediately started asking her out when they got home.

Within a couple of weeks, Ed had taken Nancy to dance clubs, restaurants, concerts, movies, and museums. Ed became convinced that Nancy was indeed his soul mate and true love. Every date seemed better than the last.

On the one-month anniversary of their first dinner on the cruise ship, Ed took Nancy to a fine restaurant. While having cocktails and waiting for their salad, Ed said,

"I guess you can tell I'm very much in love with you. I'd like a little serious talk before our relationship continues to the next stage. So, before I get a box out of my jacket and ask you a life changing question, it's only fair to warn you, I'm a total golf nut. I play golf, I read about golf, I watch golf on TV. In short, I eat, sleep, and breathe golf. If that's going to be a problem for us, you'd better say so now!"

Nancy took a deep breath and responded, "Ed, that certainly won't be a problem.

I love you as you are and I love golf too; but, since we're being totally honest with each other, you need to know that for the last five years I've been a hooker."

Ed said, "I bet it's because you're not keeping your wrists straight when you hit the ball."

Sponsored Links
Back