Good riddance tobacco!

They should ban alcohol before smoking!!!!
Why?

2nd hand smoke problem but can't see a problem with someone else drinking alcohol effecting me?

You ever been a city centre at 2am on a Sunday morning, its not the smokers that cause problems.
How does drunkers effect my health at 2am or any other time?

Are you saying smoking is very good for you, yes or no?

I'm not the one saying smoking should be banned!

Sponsored Links
Why?

2nd hand smoke problem but can't see a problem with someone else drinking alcohol effecting me?

You ever been a city centre at 2am on a Sunday morning, its not the smokers that cause problems.

Are you saying smoking is very good for you, yes or no?

No one said smoking is good for you....only a fool would.

How does second hand smoke effect your health, unless YOU choose to be near a smoker?

It is pretty safe to say, that alcohol in one way or another, would have more of an effect on your health than smoking would.

Used to work with a bloke who smoked and drank. In them days we were allowed to smoke 'on the bench' and there were never any complaints.
One night this guy got drunk, (just over the limit, 40mg or whatever), but then got a phone call to cover the 'on call' driver who had had a minor accident at home. As he was reversing his car out of his drive to go and collect the wagon from work he ran over his 2 year old son and killed him. He was heavily fined and banned from drinking, the judge deciding he would be punished enough by having this on his conscience for the rest of his life.Tragic yes, but it didn't stop him from drinking. He eventually developed cirrhosis of the liver and needed constant health care for the rest of his life, which was cut short because of this.
So, a young child dies and a young middle aged woman becomes a widow because of drink.
How can anyone say drinking is safer than smoking?

Sponsored Links
If I'd driven over my son, it would have turned me to drink. :confused:

If I'd driven over my son, it would have turned me to drink. :confused:

I think it would do that to a lot of people. However, there are some who would take the opposite stance.
Suppose we all have different ways of dealing with mistakes and guilt. "To err is human, to forgive divine", is a well known saying, but one has to accept guilt and be prepared to forgive oneself if it is to have any real meaning IMO.

Anyway, back to topic. Cigarettes are a funny old thing - rounding up, do the maths for 20 plus a day for 20 plus years will give the somewhat horrifying figure of about 150000 cigarettes. That's a lot of rolling the die for a middle aged regular (since staring in his/her 20's) smoker :eek:

i have now not had a cigarette for the last 13 weeks.i was on roll ups and smoked approx 25-30 a day.
i had been thinking long and hard about quitting and managed to get my head straight,im not totally cold turkey as of yet i have been using a electronic ciggie 1 that has a nicotine fluid that i have been lowering week by week.
feel a lot better in myself docs pleased with the results so far,no doubt im putting on weight but will do my best to lose it.

http://www.totallywicked-eliquid.co.uk/products/electronic-cigarette-starter-kits-products.html

I quit smoking 3 weeks ago. I have hated the fact that i smoke for years now. I've quit at least 10 times. Each attempt to quit was ruined by the fact that in the early stages of quitting i get extremely irritated by everything. I find it very hard to keep my temper. And most of my quit attempts failed because i would do my absolute boolacks over something trivial. I end up apologising and yeah.....buying some baccy.

Every time i do quit i begin to feel the benefits in days. My food tastes better. My lungs can fill, unrestricted by tightness of my chest, to much higher capacity. my energy levels increase to much higher levels.

I don't know if smoking should be banned. The facts are out there. People will make their own minds up. If it were banned i wouldn't feel that we'd become a nanny state.
Govt's have to make tricky calls sometimes. And it so easy to sit in the sidelines and accuse them (govt) of getting it wrong. For me i still can't believe, this latest govt gave the richest people a 5% tax cut in the middle of a recession. whilst down here (the lower classes) families struggle even harder to make ends meet. And even end up breaking up due to financial stress. They are cleverer people than i could ever hope to be so there must be good reason that i just don't understand.
Also if anyone from this country threatened to go abroad because they couldn't have more money i would ban them. Kick em out on their ass. I'm sick of hearing this 'brain drain' excuse for having different rules for people that are already doing quite alright financially. I mean...what the hell is the point of one person having more than say...£20,000,000 ? How can that be ? Why is there even one old lady worrying about wether or not she can afford to turn the heating on when its cold ?
I would ban already rich people from getting richer and richer and richer before i banned smoking......just saying.

Without wishing to be a patronising git :rolleyes: well done fellas. The alan carr easyway book did it for me (eventually after a couple of re-reads).

One thing that ex-smokers tend to be is hypersensitive to smoke in the air- in particular it's not unusual for me to smell ciggies through double glazed windows a hundred metres upwind :eek: Which sort of is related to the secondary smoking thing - if I can smell it then it is there!

Why?

Are you saying smoking is very good for you, yes or no?M

No one said smoking is good for you....only a fool would.J

How does second hand smoke effect your health, unless YOU choose to be near a smoker?.
K
You're not reading my post, How do I get in my pub with the smokers in the doorway, not my choice? And in the winter they are smoking in the double door area like a porch because it's cold outside, so how do the non smoker get out without the secondhand smoke, they don't care do they, if they did they wouldn't do it! Deep deep down the smokers know it's wrong but they can't help it because they they need the drug fix to calm them etc, anyway that's enough from me, only a non smoker understand this, I don't want to banned smokers but it's their selfish attitude towards the non smokers.

Why?

Are you saying smoking is very good for you, yes or no?M

No one said smoking is good for you....only a fool would.J

How does second hand smoke effect your health, unless YOU choose to be near a smoker?.
K
You're not reading my post, How do I get in my pub with the smokers in the doorway, not my choice? And in the winter they are smoking in the double door area like a porch because it's cold outside, so how do the non smoker get out without the secondhand smoke, they don't care do they, if they did they wouldn't do it! Deep deep down the smokers know it's wrong but they can't help it because they they need the drug fix to calm them etc, anyway that's enough from me, only a non smoker understand this, I don't want to banned smokers but it's their selfish attitude towards the non smokers.

Thats obviously an issue with the pub though, How long are you in the doorway for when going in the pub, it wont be long enough to have any effect on you.

I'm not pro or anti smoking, it dont bother me in the slightest. But I still think that alcohol related incidents, illness' etc are far more concerning than smoking, thats all i'm saying.

Sponsored Links
Back