Gravity fed system?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys wondering if anyone would be able to clear something up

It's been bugging me as I can't figure it out. Read a bunch of stuff but still no luck. So basically I'm trying to figure out how our heating system in our flat works. We have a water tank boxed in above bath area. From previous investigation this only seems to feed bathroom taps and cistern. Electric shower is off the mains as well as all outputs within kitchen.

Now what's been bothering me is trying to understand what system we actually have for our heating system. We have a hot water cylinder in kitchen cupboard though there isn't an expansion pipe back up to the water feed tank?

Is it possible there's are two systems working at the same time? Boiler pic can be seen to be old but maybe someone out there may be able to help explain this?

Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 221
Sponsored Links
Generally on a gravity feed system you would expect the bathroom to be balanced hot and cold at taps, so that would go through cistern and cylinder routes. An electric shower will directly fed from the mains as will the kitchen cold sink tap. But the kitchen sink hot tap would be fed either via cylinder or possibly an instantaneous appliance. With regards to expansion/vent pipe at the F&E, I would expect that. Is that an expansion vessel beneath the boiler?

Thanks for that! Yeah it's an expansion vessel. I'm just a bit confused as from what I can see it's an vented system yet usually the feed is also an expansion tank also, which in my case it isn't I guess because of the inclusion of an expansion vessel. So am I right in thinking that the boiler is fed also from the feed tank or is that running off mains?

Ideally what I'm trying to achieve is a full understanding of our system so I can diagram it out and understand a bit more about heating systems so I can tackle future work around the house when need be.

Thanks again for your helpful answer! My first post on here actually

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back