green on cylinder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, was just looking in airing cupboard..... and looked at Copper hot water cylinder, noticed at bottom near a welded seam theres a small green bit/ lump on it and bit of green dust on the boards the cylinder sits on. Is this cause for concern? or normal? Any advise welcome. thanks.

Sponsored Links
likely to be nearing the end of its life. don't prod or poke it or you may get a substantial leak. there is a faint chance the leak may be coming from a connection that can be repaired.

A new cylinder will probably cost a couple of hundred pounds plus fitting, it will be ready-insulated so will save you money on wasted heat. When I had mine changed I got the biggest one that fits, so it has plenty of hot water for a bath or shower without the boiler having to keep running. They come in a few standard sizes, others are available at greater cost.

Have a look at yours to make sure it is an ordinary Indirect, and not a Primatic which is long obsolete and will need changes to the pipework.

our cylinder is instualted, with quite a thick jacket, just when i was looking for something, cauaght jacket and moved it away then saw green stuff. The bit on the cylinder is about 1/2 the size of a 5p coin. about an inch to inch and half above the seam where the base and sides of cylinder are joined.

Sponsored Links
modern cylinders have a rigid foam coating. This has been the case for quite a few years. If your has a fibreglass red jacket it is quite old. Copper cylinders are very thin and do not last for ever, depending also on local water quality and any careless handling or uneven support. They often leak slightly with age until someone notices it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back