Hot Water cylinder - is it leaking??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, just started decorating a bedroom with the Hot Water Cylinder in it.

I moved the lagging around the tank to find one side had soaked loads of cold water in it. I've removed a bit of the carpet to find part of the floor board wet. However, I have looked at the tank and can only find some dried green stuff near the bottom rim??

The tank is hot, but the water on the insualtion and floor is cold - do I have a leak??

If it is a leak does this mean a new cylinder?? If so, what ££ are we talking?

Ta :confused:

Sponsored Links
Look at the joints and pipe work going into the cylinder, is it leaking??

Cylinders can leak from the side wall however. just a case of locating.

if you find the leak and are a brave man on the side I have seen a brass screw being screwed in, to stop the leak. but that man was braver than me!

Cylinders are not the cheapest these days with the copper price going through the roof.

I would be suggesting £500 including the fitting but tanks vary in cost by style and size as does labour!

do I have a leak?

Perhaps a raincloud has passed through your airing cupboard :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Move things out of the way and trace back to where the water came from.

Look directly above where the water appears and see where its dripping down from.

Aha !! I've found the leak!! :eek:

It is coming from a side pipe - their are two - and it is leaking from the top pipe connection to the side of the cylinder. It is leaking through the thread AND the side of the cylinder - which looks like some kind of washer?? So, I don't think the copper tank is leaking - but the connection?? :confused:

Is this an easy fix - or are we talking a qualified bod for this one (+ how much?)

I've tried LSX but not worked (Bad decision !! ).

It is currently dripping into a pot. Could this be left for about 4 months as the cylinder is coming out as we are having a new extension and a new combi (that is if I still have a job!!).

Any help much appreciated for the bodger that is me!!

Sponsored Links
I'm ringing a plumber at 6 - best to get a pro onto the job.

Can anyone give me some technical help - the last resort is a new cylinder. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back