Groundtex Woven Geo Fabric- porous?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Can anyone advise whether this stuff lets water pass through it? We bought 5 4.5mx 11m packs to use around the house. It will be covered by 50-75mm of gravel mainly and about 20sq m of decking. I put the first sheet down tonight and cut neatly around the pads for the decking and have built half of the framework. The whole sheet is down and the OH was out watering the plants while I was putting the ply floor sheeting down for the new shed at the other side of the garden- when I finished up I went around and noticed there was water lying on it. I've ascertained it's not impervious because I opened another pack and could suck air through it, but the water seems in no hurry to pass through?

Anyone used it who could advise further? Will it get more porous as it's walked on having gravel on top and glacial till below trying to push through which may stretch the stuff and open the weave more?

Bit miffed because I told the bloke at the place we bought it exactly what it's use was for!!! :eek:

Sponsored Links
it is porous ok unless somethings wrong with it. bear in mind the quantity of water from a hose or can compared to rainfall.

The water will be sitting on top just due to the surface tension of the new sheeting.
I expect if you tread down firmly on an area where the water is pooling it will start seeping through as you will break the surface tension. Think of the material an old fashioned tent was made of - the golden rule was that if it was raining, the water would run off the outside unless you touched or rubbed against the inside - if you did this then the water would start seeping through. This is the same..
Hope this helps.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back