Grundfos Pump Noisey - now no heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I took a radiator off and put back on to do some decorating. After re-installing it my heating pump (Grundfos 15/60) had a loud screeching noise. I googled the symptoms and it advised that I should bleed the system. I have bled all rads and also the pump itself. The noise has gone away (although it still hums a little) but now when I turn my heating on, it comes on and works for 10 mins, but then it appears to stop calling for heat and the boiler switches off. The first rad gets warm, so hot water must get to it. But not hot (as the boiler goes off by then).
Is there anything other basic I should check before calling a plumber?
The system is a vented system with a cold water and hot water tank (no F&E tank).
I’ve checked the obvious things like the room stat, and that is set to 30 so is calling for heat.

Sponsored Links
Did you drain water from the system when removing radiator, or just drained the radiator itself ?
Is your system sealed/ pressurised , You said there is no f&e tank so I assume it is,what's the pressure ?
Sounds like a lack of circulation, pump issue or insufficient water in system
What boiler do you have ?

Thanks for your reply.
I don’t believe it’s a sealed/pressurised system as there’s no pressure gauge anywhere.
I’ve never found an f and e tank so I’m assuming there isn’t one.
I have an Potterton Statesman Oil Boiler.

Thanks for your reply.
I don’t believe it’s a sealed/pressurised system as there’s no pressure gauge anywhere.
I’ve never found an f and e tank so I’m assuming there isn’t one.
I have an Potterton Statesman Oil Boiler.

That reads as if there must be an F&E tank somewhere.

Sponsored Links
I’ve only got one tank int the loft, and there isn’t any expansion vessels near the boiler etc.

Did you open any valves to add water back into the system or did you isolate the water, drain down and then turn water back on?

I’ve only got one tank int the loft, and there isn’t any expansion vessels near the boiler etc.
It could possibly be fed from the CWST, are there two vents bent in over this tank?

So guys confession time. I’ve found the f and e tank. Tucked behind my CWST in the rafters was a small tank.
The issue was the ball cock had got stuck so the tank hadn’t re-filled this leaving the system low. I freed the ball cock, tank filled to the correct level and heating fired before I was even out the loft.
Thank you for all your help!!!

Photo just to show how tucked away it was.
0944AEE4-A6B1-4BE1-BAE3-F942F3FFFBAF.jpeg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back