GU10 50W downlighters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
People,

As part of a kitchen install I have just fitted 12 tiltable downlighters from our trusty friends B&Q.

I am no lighting expert but they have no transformers, are halogen and are fitted with 50W GU10 bulbs.

Upon powering up, I was somewhat dissapointed with the quality and brightness of light. The kitchen is around 5.2m long x 3.2m wide.

I do understand that they are a spot light. However, despite running very hot, the bulbs certainly dont give out a very white light. To me they appear slightly yellow and not very bright.

Please could someone advise on whether or I am able to purchase an alternative bulb that might be brighter and whiter??

Kind Regards

Sponsored Links
Dim - yellowish suggests low voltage, possible voltage drop.. What cable have you used and how long.

At low voltage the life time of the bulbs will be reduced.

Sorry but spot lights in a kitchen are never a good idea if the kitchen is to be used as a kitchen to cook in. They are great for a show-home kitchen and take-away meals.

Bite the bullet and fit a decorative flourescent and use small bulbs in the spots (25 watt) as decor ( or mood ) lighting.

That doesn't sound right - 12 x 50 watt in a small kitchen should be like wembley stadium. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
My thoughts, too. Either that or they're a 12 degree lamp.... ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back