GU5.3 12v or 240v - how to identfy

G4 holder has no clip restraint, likely accepts either lamp type. ... GU4 holder has some form of clip attached, designed to lock in GU4 lamps,would maybe also take a G4 lamp subject to size of lamp base fitting between clips, or possibly fitting and making the clip redundant. ... Main point of GU in my opinion, to support the heavier GU type lamps from pin withdrawel and possible arcing
Yes, that all appears to make sense, and is very probably correct.
As with the "low voltage" and "transformer" sagas , I suspect a lot of the G and GU lamps and holders are wrongly described
Indeed. As I implied, I also strongly suspect that is the case. However, in this case I suppose there is more 'excuse', in as much it has proved a bit of a mission to try to ascertain what is correct!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
With all this Led stuff i wonder if its gone up the wall, as your pic shows that would only fit a G4 holder ( no clips)

Read more: //www.diynot.com/diy/threads/gu5-3-12v-or-240v-how-to-identfy.472245/page-2#ixzz4RtJmvBbS

The reason i said that, was I asumed maybe wrongly, that the one in the pic had such a wide base, that it would not fit between said CLIPs on a GU4 lampholder, though im in agreement that in most cases , they proberly would fit G4 and GU4 holders as you say, just leaving the clips redundant.

OK, Getting back to basics.

I have looked on various sites and totally baffled with so many various types of leds.

Basically I looking for replacement GU10 leds for my 12 MR16 gu5.3 42w halogens Warm white for use in a kitchen/diner.

Any suggestions from your experience using these lamps

thanks

OK, Getting back to basics. ... Basically I looking for replacement GU10 leds for my 12 MR16 gu5.3 42w halogens Warm white for use in a kitchen/diner.
Going back to your original question, is there some reason why you want to replace your GU10 halogens with GU3.55.3 LEDs? In other words, why not just replace the GU10 halogen lamps with GU10 LED lamps?

Kind Regards, John
Edit: typo corrected

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
you need to decide if your sticking to 12 volt GU5.3 led
or
using 240 volt GU10 led, if you opt for this then you will need to alter your wiring, and remove the transformers, and fit new lampholders

Going back to your original question, is there some reason why you want to replace your GU10 halogens with GU3.5 LEDs? In other words, why not just replace the GU10 halogen lamps with GU10 LED lamps?

Kind Regards, John

Bit confused
has he already got 240v GU10, and mistakenly just said he has 12 volt 5.3 lamps

Ps you seem to have 3.5 on your brain

you need to decide if your sticking to 12 volt GU5.3 led
or
using 240 volt GU10 led, if you opt for this then you will need to alter your wiring, and remove the transformers, and fit new lampholders
Are you not overlooking the fact that the OP could use 12v GU10 LEDs? Admittedly, the existing 'transformers' may or may not be suitable for LEDs.

Kind Regards, John

Bit confused ... has he already got 240v GU10, and mistakenly just said he has 12 volt 5.3 lamps
I just believed what we were told in the OP - that he currently has 12v GU10 halogens and wanted to replace them with GU5.3 LEDs.
Ps you seem to have 3.5 on your brain
No - my last typo turned 5.3 into 53, not 3.5 :) I have corrected it!

Kind Regards, John

You been drinking john:)
I haven't started yet, but probably will soon:)
... post a link to these please ... Actually :)
Part of first page of countless thousands of Google hits (note that they are mainly 'bulbs', not 'lamps' :) )...
upload_2016-12-4_18-31-46.png

Kind Regards, John

OK,

My present lamps are MR16 GU5.3 12v 42w x 12.

It seems unless I am wrong that the GU10 230v LEDs are more common than the GU5.3 12v LEDs on the High street.

My intentions are to remove the transformers and the GU5.3 lamp holders.

Purchase GU10 lamp holders and GU10 230v LEDs and reconnect to the existing junction boxes at every lamp.

Also as stated there are several types of led arrangements in the lamps, thats why I asked which you would suggest from your experiences.

thanks

Your intentions seem correct.
Dont use many Gu10 led, but been informed the COB ones are best (chip on board), these are the ones that have a single element in the centre of the lamp, go for a branded make, not cheap chinese ones on ebay.
Another way to consider is replacing the downlights with a combined driver and sealed lamp, these tend to be more reliable and more stable if combined with a dimmer and id quess, more likely to outlive a Gu10 led lamp

My present lamps are MR16 GU5.3 12v 42w x 12.
Sorry if I have introduced confusion!
It seems unless I am wrong that the GU10 230v LEDs are more common than the GU5.3 12v LEDs on the High street.
That may be true, but there are plenty of the latter around (MR16).
My intentions are to remove the transformers and the GU5.3 lamp holders. ... Purchase GU10 lamp holders and GU10 230v LEDs and reconnect to the existing junction boxes at every lamp
You could - but, as I said, there are plenty of 12v GU5.3 LEDs around, and if you used them you could presumably retain the holders, and possibly also the transformers?
Also as stated there are several types of led arrangements in the lamps, thats why I asked which you would suggest from your experiences.
Do you mean the number of LED elements per lamp? It's really the light output that matters, and that will obviously be related to the wattage.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back