GU5.3 12v or 240v - how to identfy

Thanks, and interesting. Do X, Y or Z appear in the list of defined second letters?
It sounds a bit like that, but presumably the "lack of perfect interchangeability" does not have to be two-way. In other words, if what I read previously is correct (that "U" indicates provision for mechanical restraint), it would not necessarily follow that a G5.3 could not be used in a GU3.5 holder (merely that the retaining clip/whatever would then be redundant.

Having said that, as I commented before, although G4 seems quite common, I'm not sure that I have seen a lamp/bulb described as G5.3 (they all seem to be GU5.3).

Kind Regards, John
Edit: Missing decimal point added

Sponsored Links
upload_2016-12-4_19-14-30.png

Sponsored Links
Do you mean the number of LED elements per lamp? It's really the light output that matters, and that will obviously be related to the wattage.

Kind Regards, John

Yes, when viewing various sites, brands etc., they have different led patterns, shapes and metal/glass.

Added to this I would prefer a beam angle of greater than 36 degs perhaps not as much as 120 degs.

thanks

If there is such a thing as a GU3.5 holder:p, I sincerely hope that a G5.3 lamp wouldn't fit!
Ah! Now corrected (again)!

All as I can say is that my beady eyes are goping to keep a very close watch on you guy's guys' typing for a while :)

Kind Regards, John
Edit: typos corrected. Arrrggghh!

Last edited:
OK,

Today I did abit of trial and error, I purchased a 12v MR16 GU5.3 345LM LED Lamp/Bulb.

Fitted it in one of my burnt out light fittings replacing the Halogen lamp/bulb. As there has been some doubt from a previous topic I did, about the current transformer for every lamp/bulb not being compatible for LED use.

And yes the LED works. I'll give a day or so to trial the LED or Transformer for failures.

As the LED seems to be OK, if either was going to fail would I expect it straight away. If its to be success, then this is going to save the expense of purchasing GU10 lap holders to replace the GU5.3 holders and removal work of the transformers.

thanks

As the LED seems to be OK, if either was going to fail would I expect it straight away. If its to be success, then this is going to save the expense of purchasing GU10 lap holders to replace the GU5.3 holders and removal work of the transformers. thanks
Indeed. As I said, if that worked it would presumably be by far the simplest (and probably cheapest) approach. I hope all goes well.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back