Guarded switch fuse?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have a switch fuse for the gas boiler above the kitchen worktop in my house that is in a slightly vulnerable position in respect of being knocked.

Does anyone make a guarded or protected 13A switch fuse so the switch isn't knocked off?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
it is usually quite a positive action to move a switch from on to off so what are you doing that means it is easy to hit the switch?

if it bothers you that much you can get covers for switches/sockets that are intended to stop kids poking things in them ie like this
1704384339498.jpeg

Thanks, yes I've seen those but it's for a single switch fuse supplying the gas boiler.

Twice now it's been knocked off by SWMBO as she left the house to be away for a few days resulting in loss of Hive heating remote control and loss of heat to keep frost and damp at bay whilst away!
I think it's the bread bin's hinged lid that is at the correct height to push the switch off when opened! It's going to have to go....:unsure:

the link is for a single cover the pic is just one i found the single cover could cover a socket/conn unit/switch

Sponsored Links
You could fit a fused spur so there is no switch
A 'spur' is, of course, a cable (and what the cable feeds), but assuming you mean a Fused Connection Unit, I imagine that such is what the OP has (which he describes as a "switch fuse"), albeit a switched one.

If that's the case, then, as you imply, it could be changed to an unswitched FCU, but that would preclude its use for 2-pole isolation, and would also mean that if 'removal of the fuse' was used as the (only locally available) method of 'isolation', that fuse might have to be removed 'under load', which is probably not ideal.

A 'spur' is, of course, a cable (and what the cable feeds), but assuming you mean a Fused Connection Unit, I imagine that such is what the OP has (which he describes as a "switch fuse"), albeit a switched one.

If that's the case, then, as you imply, it could be changed to an unswitched FCU, but that would preclude its use for 2-pole isolation, and would also mean that if 'removal of the fuse' was used as the (only locally available) method of 'isolation', that fuse might have to be removed 'under load', which is probably not ideal.

I did say could. There are countless boilers installed like this in the UK

Personally I think educating the wife or a label are a better bet

But I’m sure you can argue this for a few more pages as you normally do

Personally I think educating the wife or a label are a better bet
'Education' (advice to 'be careful' obviously might help. However, I doubt that a label would make any difference, because I think we are talking about 'accidentally knocking the switch off' (when not intending to), not deliberate operation of the switch.

Hi,
I have a switch fuse for the gas boiler above the kitchen worktop in my house that is in a slightly vulnerable position in respect of being knocked.

Does anyone make a guarded or protected 13A switch fuse so the switch isn't knocked off?

Thanks
Presumably a switched fused connection unit rather than a switch fuse.

Tell your wife not to do it.
Don't be silly
As I've said, I don't think it would be silly for him to bring the issue to thee attention of his wife and 'encourage' her to be careful when doing things in the vicinity of thee FCU switch.

As for alternatives, as I've implied, I'm no so sure that it would necessary be 'best practice' (or necessarily even 'good practice') to changed the (presumed) switched FCU to an unswitched one - even though, as has been said, that's a very common situation for boilers.

In (TT) installations like mine that would mean that to achieve the (required by BS7671) 2-pole isolation would require me to 'kill' all circuits supplied by one RCD - and if (as many would advocate) I had an all-(SP)RCBO' CU, I would have to switch off all circuits by means of the Main Switch.

Kind Regards, John

Unswitched socket and a plug - assuming those who switch things off without noticing are not also the sort that unplug items randomly and then forget about it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back