H&C Bar Valve Fixing Kit - am i missing something here..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I've just picked up and proprietary H&C Bar Valve Fixing Kit from Screwfix on the understanding that it would make the installation of my new shower somewhat easier.

I was not convinced by the robustness/rigidity of the Mira way of doing it. On the face of it, this fixing kit is a much more secure way of hanging the mixer bar.

Anyway, I've got this unit, and from my measurements there is not enough room to reinstate the plasterboard wall and tiles in front of the pipes without running out of thread onto which fits the decorative covers and the mixer bar.

Has anyone else fitted one of these?

How did you manage it?

Would you expect to have the pipework located in a channel/cutout in the plasterboard, and then have the pipework and bar valve fixing kit covered only by the tiles, with no plasterboard?

I would appreciate any advice on this, as it's not making a great deal of sense. To me, the threaded section needs to be an inch longer, but i'm, guessing someone cleverer than me has been round this loop and solved it...

Thank you

Sponsored Links
I use the same thing from toolstation. Very neat and really easy to change a faulty mixer.

Sponsored Links
great, thanks for the replies.

So is this just copper fixed with an elbow poking through the tiled wall?

Any tricks to make sure that they're exactly spaced apart?

How much space do you have in the wall? If it is a typical stud wall fit a piece of timber, say 4" x 1" with 16mm holes at the correct centres. This also provides a good fixing for the fixing kit.

the wall is just blockwork at the moment, and I'll be bringing the pipe down the wall from the loft. i need to batten out and fix a wall in front of the pipework, but i would need to put a couple of elbows on the bottom to come out through the wall to use the fittings that have been suggested.
At the moment it's in plastic bacause i'd hoped to use this fixing kit that I bought, but that may need to change to copper now that my plans are falling apart!

On that round mixer kit - what's the middle one for?

Btw - is a bar mixer a Jewish shower? :mrgreen:

And for the OP, why can't you fix your plate onto the plasterboard and under the tiles? BTW - you did tank the PB didn't you?

right oh - at the risk of looking like a stupid diyer- i'd not intended to tank the walls... last time i tiled a shower cubicle i was advised (by the guy in the tile shop) to use waterproof tile adhesive in a solid bed, which I guess does the same sort of thing?

I would really appreciate your advice on this. Do you suggest using something like the aquaseal or mapei waterproofing kits? What would you recommend as reliable?

Presumably you just tile onto this tanking like you would any other wall?

I was thinking about using the moisture resistant plasterboard.

Is this still necessary if you use aquaboard for the wall?

As i say, i'd appreciate your advice on this, and thank you for making me aware!

but i thought you were all knowing & an expert on everything :?:

the middle part is the exploded view of what it looks like under the round chrome caps :rolleyes:

right oh - at the risk of looking like a stupid diyer- i'd not intended to tank the walls... last time i tiled a shower cubicle i was advised (by the guy in the tile shop) to use waterproof tile adhesive in a solid bed, which I guess does the same sort of thing?

no it doesn't do the same thing at all, you either need to tank the wall or use waterproof boarding, MR plasterboard will be worse than useless unless it's tanked, if you have plastic running down the wall just swap the plastic for copper where it comes through the wall to the fixing kit, use the fixing kit denso has said screwfix do this one as well so just take that your one back & swap them over, pipe centers should be 150mm

but i thought you were all knowing & an expert on everything :?:

the middle part is the exploded view of what it looks like under the round chrome caps :rolleyes:

Oh right. It's an exploded view - why didn't they show arrows to make it obvious?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back