Hallway / Stairs / Landing Project

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been creating lots of threads to do with all the work I have been doing and thought I would throw a project thread here if anyone was interested.

This is our first house, and well hopefully our house for a long time, and we got it in July 2014. Way back almost a year in March 2015, I came home to find my wife had decided to start peeling the wallpaper off in the hallway. Well I don't blame her its awful. Here is what it was like before we moved in;

March 2015

I didn't want to start the hallway yet as I knew it was a big job and I had other areas I wanted to tackle first. Well she just peeled the top off, and for a while the hallway was a mess lol.

Not much happened then as I ended up doing the small box room as we were expecting baby in August. I also sorted out the garage and did a storage solution, which is the forums somewhere.

I also end up working long hours as I am a freelance sound engineer and well my hours are usually anything but social. Summer is busy time so dont get much then!

August 2015

We had been thinking what to do with the hallway and we decided we hated the red mahogany handrail spindles. So sanded them to see how well they would come up.

Also got all the walls back to plaster as the walls were a mess. Most of the paint under the wall paper was flaking off. All the paint came off the solid walls, and the stud walls were really messy;

Horrible job getting that all off but yea. Around the window upstairs it was a right mess too;

Then we had the baby and, well as you can expect not much happened on the DIY front. I did baby things and worked loads. I am sure there are many on here that work in the trade are self-employed so can understand what I mean. I couldn't afford to take too much time off work as I dont get any sort of paternity pay or anything. If I am not working, I am not earning money! So got busy working and did work things like these;

Brownie points for anyone who can name the band/artist ;)

Feb 2016

Then It was late Jan and I had finally some time on my hands after putting off the work of fear of how big a task this hallway would be, I got the motivation to get the finger out and get stuck in!

Started doing sanding. Lots of sanding. Oh man, what a messy job this is.

Also note, under the stairs was more of the wood stain we didnt like and well it was not the best job that was done by previous owner. They build a stud and it didint level with wall. When I put skirting in way back when I was doing Living room, I was never happpy with it, as it meant it wasnt one nice clean line.

So after much much sanding, I got the rail sanded and the end posts. Maybe I didint have to sand them so much, but I wanted them to look in great condition before staining. The spindles I didint sand as much as I was going to be painting them.

Super happy after a few coats.

Sponsored Links
March 2016

After getting a varnish put on top etc, was very happy. A learning experience using woodstain and varnish. Not easy stuff to put on, but in the end came up great. Now onto painting the spindles;

More you do DIY the more you realise that all the work is in the prep and not the main things such as painting!

First coat of Zinseer BIN. Applied 2nd and looked much better. Then got 1 layer of undercoat on and was already looking good.

Again, big learning experience painting a crap load of spindles. Also demorilising how long it takes to do and get it right! Also at this point I undercoated all the existing door trims etc with undercoat aswell after sanding them down etc.

Amongst all this, we got the plasterer out and got under stairs done. First time applying plasterboard, made a right cock up of it lol.

I ended up taking that down and re-doing it for several reasons.
1st reason was that the door was in the stud framing. So when putting plasterboard on there was nothing for it to butt up against. So I put a 12mm trim around the door. This meant the plasterboard could butt up against it and something for plasterer to plaster to. It also meant there would be a wooden finish on the door frame instead of plaster.
2nd reason was the cut was a balls. But all I needed was 1 6'x3' 9.5mm board. Didn't break the bank, only a couple quid. Forgot to take pics of the 2nd attempt. I also put in way more screws!

Plasterer was well impressed with my boarding considering was my first time. hah! The plasterboard was sitting level with the existing plaster so he has to level it all out etc. So he got it skimmed and sorted in one evening.

And it was great job. Only cost me £60 as he was doing it as a homer type thing. Pretty reasonable I think!

After that all dried out, I got new skirting in for the walls upstairs that didnt have any of the newer stuff and for the understairs bit. Just standing pre primed MDF stuff. Painting it so see no point in buying pine etc. I also got some smaller trim for around the door. Got that all installed. I also did lots and lots of patching all over the walls in prep for painting them.

Finally got round to getting first coat on and this is pretty much where I am at now;

I have been doing this all in between working, so work tends to stop and start as I have to go away for work etc. Working all this Easter weekend, but hoping to get painting the walls next week. Other things I will be looking to do;

- Replacing all doors upstairs
- Painting under stairs door
- Sanding and painting kitchen door
- Paint all trim with top coat
- Look at carpet
- Get the wife to choose some and curtains hah!

I am sure I have left out things but feel free to ask if anyone is interested. Maybe no one will as I know there are many other great projects on here that are far superior to this!

I will update more as I get on with it.

Thanks for reading, cheers.

Sponsored Links
Thanks! As I said many other people doing much greater projects on here, such as building houses etc. Mine seems so small compared lol. But its just me and in my spare time I have, which isnt much with 2 children and work .

Anyway, been working a ton so not much done, but I did get the window sill stained and i also sanded the existing door divides and got them stained. Used the same stain as the handrail etc;

Existing one;

Sanded and first stain being applied;

2nd coat being applied;

Probably will need a 3rd coat on these.

2nd coat on windowsill just applied;

Hopefully will not need another coat.

Not a big job, but not had much time, and it takes 16-24 hours for coats to dry! Hopefully gonna be painting some walls tomorrow.

Bit of an update. Got all the walls painted. Got all the skirting/door frames painted (2 undercoat / 2 top coat, except skirt which only needed 1 coat, it was new) and I also put a 2nd top coat on the spindles. I mean it looked fine, but I felt it would look even better with another coat, and with the carpet being fitted on Friday, I thought I should just do it. I also got the door under stairs sanded, 2 coats of BIN, 1 undercoat and 1 top coat. Gonna prob put another top coat to make it just right. Door saddle going into bathroom, I had to router a little step to accommodate the different heights. It was never right, but now it is.

Pretty pleased with quality of finish. Did all cutting in and trims etc by hand, and no tape. Scary at first, but once get hang of it, its much better. Im no pro, but very happy!

Things to still do;

Fit carpet grippers back on
New Doors for upstairs
Seal around window
Bit more skirting to paint in downstairs hallway
Curtains
New Lights
New light switches, and work out way to fix thread on one
Sand kitchen door and paint

So yeah, slow progress but getting there!

Last edited:
Minor update;

Got carpet fitted. I did not do this. Whats the point when the carpet fitter did it for £35 and did it right. Its a no brainer really lol. Got new lights etc, got all woodwork painting done, except kitchen door. Got new handle for understairs door sorted. Got seal around window sorted. Got new light switches installed, though one I will need to "fix". Prev owner rammed in M4 screws which dont sit in the recess and look like ****. Also one of them doesnt really bite at all. Can't really take out existing box as it will destroy the plaster around it etc, so going to have to go with a fix. Read on here that someone suggested filling hole with Araldite and re drilling holes. Gonna give that a go. Tried it in a piece of wood as experiment and it seemed to work.

So yeah almost done with this. Just fitting around work.

So last couple of things to do;

Fix switch screw threads
New doors for upstairs and get them painted
Sand kitchen door and kitchen door frame and paint

I know Gerry. But It doesnt bother us. Old skirting was thin. But thanks :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back